Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't have it all...

A good friend of mine was all disgruntled over the idea that his two guys leave out at 8 & don't reach the first job until 9. He calculated it to be an additional $400/month in lost wages. It took some convincing him that it's 30 minutes alone in drive-time. His biggest gripe is that the one fella has to stop & use the restroom before getting started & how that burns up 10 minutes there. It doesn't help that they don't work like a team. Instead of the other guy fueling everything up in the meantime he'd rather stand afar off & smoke a cigarette. 'Cause "why should I work when he's in there sitting on his butt?" A really dumb response in my opinion.
Here's my argument: You want to run the lawn service top notch & as efficiently as possible & all the while you don't have 1.Liability Insurance. 2. Workmen's Comp. 3.No overtime wages. 4. No income tax/social security assistance & no 1099. All these liabilities & you're gonna worry about 2 guys that make $9/hour taking a little longer than expected while on the clock. I defended the "Pot Sitter" the most 'cause when nature calls you've got to answer & at least they aren't having to stop later & find a place to go. Not worth discussing when they always show up on time & never call in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not always healthy when the owner/manager has a little too much free time to start scrutinizing & micro managing. I suggested he simply cost average his business. Another point is that Fall-Spring they go to every other work weeks so their income goes to less than half rate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cost averaging also means that if the "Pot Sitter" works more efficiently than all previous employees then consider how he shaves off 5 minutes an hour x 8 hours & there's his extra time burned on the can. DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the time you get what you pay for
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is the very reason I will remain an owner operator with one team and I am on it.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind
Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

9 is so low I started landscaping at 7 an hour but that was 1989. That said I work the field with my guys as does my partner and were looking closely at unapplied labor as well. We don't pay 9 instead its 14-17.50 an hour now make that time and half 21-26.25 then add in roughly 20% of regulations and government F U s (SSI is over 7% UI is 6.9% WC 4.5% then there is medicare and fed UI) So the real numbers when they are billing me while not working are at their OT rates of 25.2-31.5 an hour. So picture 2 guys hitting you for 30-60 mins a day each at that rate 5-7 days a week. And you can see that adds up to 500-1000 a month and thats because were still small. Picture that with 20 employees and come tell me its silly to search out waste. Were looking at time clocks that go with the trucks I'm sick of the guys walking in 15-40 mins late and signing themselves in for 9 or leaving and signing them selves out 15 mins latter than they left on top of milking the last 15 mins they did work. And don't even get me started on lunches that run long.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have yet to see a co worker in all my years of working that had to show up then take a dump upon arrival every day.

Sounds as a guy that sets his alarm to late. Just leaves himself just enough time to roll out of bed, into his pants, grab his keys, drive straight to work.

He needs to be told to get up earlier and go sit before he leaves his home.

The other guy, well No. 1 never hire a smoker. This guy needs to be said straight. We do not stop working when you have to go to the bathroom, and you are expected to work here regardless what anyone else is doing at that time.

Those are not unreasonable employment requirements for an employer to make.

This is not about losing money through waste. This is about not having a work ethic.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Just a suggestion but fuel up at the end of the day so you don't have waste time in the morning. Also get insurance an required licenses people like that are a joke
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How about having the guys meet an hour or 30 minutes up the road at a home depot or wal Mart?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like he needs a copy of Fix Your Business on the Toilet. Sorry, I couldn't resist.