Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

LLC or DBA

Starting my company from scratch. I have a budget of 30,000$. Just need to know if LLC is the only way to go. I will be a solo operator at first.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Probably not necessary but you might as well, it's not too expensive, offers a little more protection, just remember to do your yearly reports.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This gets covered often if you want to take a look at the archives:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...prietor+or+llc
Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of people really get this wrong. A DBA is NOT anything really. It doesnt make you a sole proprietor. In fact, My company is "Landmark Lawns, LLC" I also build fences, and have proper licensing, i have a DBA which is Doing Business as, So I have a checking account that says "Landmark Lawns, LLC, DBA Landmark Fence Company"

Basically your sole prop will be you. so it will say "Your Name, Doing Business as DickHeadLawnservice," or whatever.

Personally, I would reserve the LLC name, and then open as a sole prop DBA your reserved name without the LLC. Then again, with a large start up budget like you have, you could just go ahead and start as an LLC and save yourself some hassle later.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
A lot of people really get this wrong. A DBA is NOT anything really. It doesnt make you a sole proprietor. In fact, My company is "Landmark Lawns, LLC" I also build fences, and have proper licensing, i have a DBA which is Doing Business as, So I have a checking account that says "Landmark Lawns, LLC, DBA Landmark Fence Company"

Basically your sole prop will be you. so it will say "Your Name, Doing Business as DickHeadLawnservice," or whatever.

Personally, I would reserve the LLC name, and then open as a sole prop DBA your reserved name without the LLC. Then again, with a large start up budget like you have, you could just go ahead and start as an LLC and save yourself some hassle later.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the quick response.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem, the more i think, i know in TN it was only $300 to file the LLC. I think its worth it. You will project a nice image of professionalism, along with other things. Get your truck lettered maybe, paint all your equipment if you buy used, keep the truck clean, un torn shirt can go a long way. best thing is always PROMPTLY return phone calls. oh... get a website going

just some tips for when you land lawns. Usually** the first guy or two to show up is the guy who gets the job.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post

Hope this helps!

Very nicely put.......
Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the good advice. I love this kind of work. I was always told to do what you love and it won't be a job.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Man, I am envious of your startup budget! I'm trying to scrape together $10k for mine, lol.

Curious: Have you thought about an S-Corp vs. LLC? Seems like the pros outweigh the cons... but everyone's situation is different. Your thoughts?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

My Startup budget, being a full time college student and starting out using what I own now, so two 21" push mowers, my truck, echo trimmers, handheld blowers, misc other tools was only $1K. I wish I had $30,000!