Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2003, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Using Argon for steel - MIG

I'm thinking of trying to save on buying two bottles and using straight argon for everything. Heres what I have:

Miller 250 X welding steel and using 75%Co2/25%Argon, now.

In the near future I will have a AC/DC stick welder and a TIG torch. TIG torch to mainly do small, precise firearm work. Stick welder to do outside work where shielding gas is blown away by wind.
I would like to run one type of gas for steel ,stailess and aluminum. Thinking about buying a "Y". Go from Argon bottle to both TIG torch and the MIG machine. Argon to hot for steel? What ya'll think?
The guys at our local welding shop are great guys but they want to sell ya a gas for every type of metal. And that get expensive.
Any comments welcome.................
Thanks
Old 02-16-2003, 10:07 AM

CO2 acts as an insulator, holding arc heat in the weld zone. The downside is that it tends to make spattering worse. The 75/25 blend is an attempt to get the benefits of CO2 while cutting down on the adverse affects. I've never tried running Argon on mild steel so I have no valid input on that. I do think that you will get less penetration with Argon, maybe OK on thin stock.

I'd trust the supply guys. While they may be in business to sell stuff they also are looking to help you produce good welds. Ask the same question of several suppliers and see if the answers are the same. The only difference in cost is going to be one extra lease which is what, $30 or so a year? How much is a failed weld worth?