Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I'm just one opinion. The majority of people may like it. So don't let that discourage you. I can't figure out where it fits into my equipment lineup, just like the apple iPad, it's not a cell phone but not a computer either. I just don't know where to put my money, because I don't own a 36" and need a new 21". I can't have them both. I have to choose one of them. I think I'll just go with a new exmark 21" x series push mower. With the Kai motor. I really don't see spending the extra 100 dollars for the blade brake. I just need the self propelled and with the Kai motor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have used a new x series 21, how do you think the trans will hold up? My Honda trans is a pos and that's why I'm buying a new 21 this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Joe w,
it's funny that people have different opinions about things and different expectations. The reason I say that is because I didn't like the exmark 30" and you seem to like your toro 30". Just like the walker and navigator. Most people on here wouldn't trade their walkers for a navigator, but I feel like its the best mower I own. From day one, it has been nothing but a pleasure to own and operate. I think it's built like a tank, cuts amazing, reliable and bags really well. Now everything has its limits, the navigator sucks on hills going forward, but strange enough, will go anywhere in reverse. some people say exmark is junk, but I've never had a problem with them. I think that if you take care and maintain any brand of equipment, it will get the job done. It's kind of like ford and Chevy. I just so happen to have a good exmark dealer close to my home so years ago I bought them and that's all I've ever owned. I think they are easy to work on, but they are pricey, sometimes over priced. Just wanted to rant a little.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll tell ya what I really liked for my setup. I bought a Metro 32" belt drive with a grass catcher and a $400 Toro Personal Pace 22" I hardly use my Toro, only in the tight corners and extremely small yards that it's not worth unloading the 48" to get the 32" off. I primarily use the 32" in back yards because I have yet to find a gate it doesn't fit thru, there are a few I have that a 36" would not. I will say this much, eXmark is an amazing machine, but I would not spend the money for an eXmark smaller than the 32. I can get the same performance out of a Toro for as much as a I use it and it will last just as long.
2014 Kubota SVL90 CTL
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z X-series
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z E-series
2013 eXmark Commercial 30"
Echo/Stihl peripherals
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what to do. I really wouldn't use a 36" or a 21" that much. My 42" navigator goes about anywhere and fits thru almost every gate. The problem I have ran into is those small front yards at a funny angle where the navigator would be to big and wouldn't do good on the funny slope. Also some customers want the front cut with a 21". I know a handful of customers that do not want a big heavy mower on their properties. Now we of course charge more for our time and effort on those accounts. Plus a 21" mower does cut good and bag good on those small high end zoysia front lawns. I'm leaning toward a 21" for those reasons plus the cost difference compared to a 36"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Not to hijack or change subjects, but how is that zoysia grass? They're starting to put it in down here, haven't had the opportunity to cut or work with it yet.
2014 Kubota SVL90 CTL
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z X-series
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z E-series
2013 eXmark Commercial 30"
Echo/Stihl peripherals
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it looks nice but it's the thickest grass I've ever cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm eliminating my 21 inch for the most part. 36" is my new main mower
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interestingly enough, we made the switch to 32" hydros when they first came out, ditching all of our Honda 21s and productivity soared.

Why? Deeper decks, more power for handling mulching, faster ground speeds (and easy enough, with enough power to handle a sulky) and the quick changing of direction with the hydros allowed them to go just about every single place the 21s would, everything else got a trimmer.

They certainly are heavier, but that is more a load in consideration than a turf float. They were perfect for small commercial, islands, park strips and would slip any gate we came across.

Where crews hardly ever wanted to get a 21 off the trailer, instead trying to get away with trimming small areas down (and getting into trouble for doing it) the 32s actually became their preferred choice, only behind a 60 zturn, because it eliminated a lot of effort and shortened their work days.

While the initial cost is higher, the cost to own was lower than a 21 as they weren't completely trashed after 2 seasons of trailering and offered far greater efficiency (and a far better mulching cut on northern grasses).
Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Shouldn't we have a 21"? I mean after all we do cut grass for a living
Posted via Mobile Device