Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
why don't you get the system at least functional first and then throw out your suggestions for upgrading / renovating.

BECAUSE you cant say

"I'll fix your system for $xxx"

and then when done say...

"Now, I can reallllly fix your system for $xxxx"

_
I do agree with mitchgo's suggestion to at least get it functional, lest they give up on systems entirely or increase lowes and home depot's market share.

After system evaluation,
Suggest the Kiril Repair Option price,
listen and understand,
either do it, or
then suggest the Geyser stopper repair cost.
listen and understand,
either do it, or
thank them graciously for their time.

It would seem to me, upon very little experience i assure you, that one could not provide a free system evaluation of the extent kiril would be satisfied.

Just thinking out loud, i havent the slightest idea if any of my statements are correct, please check.
and please advise me so that i may better understand !

It could be the meds, but i love this forum!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Audit the system (and that doesn't mean just a catch can audit either), go from there. I find if the system is cobbled together, typically the only acceptable fix IMO is replacing all the sprinklers and fixing any design issues while you are at it.
how could you possibly tease like that? too say not just a catch can audit and not then list the other areas that ought to be checked.

....not that i care, but maybe kajun would like to know

please
Old 03-09-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post

BECAUSE you cant say

"I'll fix your system for $xxx"

and then when done say...

"Now, I can reallllly fix your system for $xxxx"

!
Sure you can. I think it's important to provide options to your customers. I'm not saying this applies to every situation, but to me this is a nice easy way for future work. It is helpful to the customer because instead of being told You have to spend $xxx and that's the only way I'll do it, you can say hey how bout you spend $xx , i'll get it working and then provide a cost of $xxx more of suggestions and upgrades to renovate your system. It also relieves the stress on me of having to do all the work at once. I went to the house to fix a broken marlex.. Not install 4 new zones you know what I mean

How can you even evaluate a system without having it somewhat operational? You never know what more issues may be there.. Or how hard the repair can be.. Or even how quick and easy the repair can be.

Other people do things differently

You just need to weigh out the customer. Figure out what they want.. I'm not going to waste my time and provide them all this crazy extra work if that's not what they want. Some customers do want that and I'll be glad to do that

Last edited by mitchgo; 03-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Perfectly said Mitch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

As an example for me yesterday

From the customer ' My system hasn't worked in years, I think I may have a leak too . I'm also interested in some renovations to the system because I know in the past it didn't work so well'

I arrived- Not so the greatest yard in the world.. Pugey guy with non-shalont attitidue.. I discovered the FC's to all the valves were turned down. We started turning on zones , there were a few broken heads here and there. He showed me the area's he was more concerned about. At this point I asked what he would like to happen . I suggested I could repair the broken heads today and as I review the system and I can come up with a renovation plan. This way you can at least use the system this year and decide if you want to upgrade it. He told me he would like to upgrade it as soon as possible.

I provided a cost roughly $600 .. Moving heads.. Adding heads .. Removing heads yadayada.. He was so happy because he thought he was going to have to spend so much more then this.

My in and out time was 50 minutes.. with a happy customer and I get caught up on my schedule. Now I don't have to worry about anything until I go do the work

I don't have time like kiril may have ( not trying to bag on yah ) to reach that extra 10% system efficiency of a system with a 2-3x cost increase with like 5x more time involved

Last edited by mitchgo; 03-09-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

touche.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

deserves more than touche, you have sincerely helped me mitchgo,

thank you !

Last edited by RhettMan; 03-09-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: im an idiot
Old 03-09-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
I don't have time like kiril may have ( not trying to bag on yah ) to reach that extra 10% system efficiency of a system with a 2-3x cost increase with like 5x more time involved
How much time does it take to audit a system, and not a catch can audit? BTW, your numbers are WAYYYYYYYYYY off.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
How much time does it take to audit a system, and not a catch can audit? BTW, your numbers are WAYYYYYYYYYY off.
I know they are, it was more to just make the point across.

Realistically it's not much time at all to audit depending on what you are actually doing. But i don't think it's a necessary thing to do in all situations.

Do you catch can all your audits? Sometimes they are really handy, particularly in large lawn area's. But not always necessary.

I don't always get the available time I would like to spend on houses + I hate giving people large bills.

Like if a customer told me they have a really wet section in there yard and a really dry section in there yard and they are on the same zone. I'm not entirely going to say that the zone needs to be split because microclimates are different, zone design is off and that a whole renovation is in order. I would state and suggest that for sure, but also give them the option . ' Hey , why don't I spend the next 20 minutes swapping some nozzles around and adjust the programming and we'll see how it goes for the next month or 2' . If you'd like, I can provide the cost to upgrade the zone. No matter what i'm doing I'm still increasing the effciency .

The alternative , Let me audit your system and then I can provide you the cost of what it would take to upgrade the zone to it's maximum efficiency

Every situation is different and I just go by what I feel will best suit the customer .
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like Mitchgo's method as well. Build trust with the client. I know this basically blasphemy, but is there a difference between PGP and an orbit copy? They look exactly the same. I understand the luxury of having one head on a property. But does the client even know how to adjust any of his irrigation heads? I would say 95% of my clients cannot adjust an irrigation head... for the sole real reason that they just don't give a damn to listen to me while I explain step by step how to do it or won't take time to watch a youtube video on my website etc. I think they just expect us to come out and adjust heads for free since they spent 4k+ on installation.