Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I cold bid about 50 commercial accounts every February/March. I drive around write down costs on lawn, landscape bush trimming every thing applicable to their property. I put in a NICE bid package (meaning I spend a couple bucks to make it look decent) Include an itemized list of costs, projected costs for the year also include a personal letter about my business and the benefits and services I would bring to their business as well as all the services I offer. Sometimes they hit and I get calls but I've found a lot of times people call me the next year. Even if I don't get calls, every year I drop off a packet at the same locations. I hate calling and pestering people. Putting real numbers on their desk seams more effective.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLE View Post
I cold bid about 50 commercial accounts every February/March. I drive around write down costs on lawn, landscape bush trimming every thing applicable to their property. I put in a NICE bid package (meaning I spend a couple bucks to make it look decent) Include an itemized list of costs, projected costs for the year also include a personal letter about my business and the benefits and services I would bring to their business as well as all the services I offer. Sometimes they hit and I get calls but I've found a lot of times people call me the next year. Even if I don't get calls, every year I drop off a packet at the same locations. I hate calling and pestering people. Putting real numbers on their desk seams more effective.
Seems like a lot of work not knowing if you'll get the job.

You mention you don't like to call and pester people. Do you think those same people want to see a bid packet every season? To them, it's junk mail. I bet they toss it in the trash can and don't even look at it.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the guy said"hey boy" if your gonna be hanging around here bothering the help, why don't you mow the place and i'll give you twenty bucks. and the rest is history.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Seems like a lot of work not knowing if you'll get the job.

You mention you don't like to call and pester people. Do you think those same people want to see a bid packet every season? To them, it's junk mail. I bet they toss it in the trash can and don't even look at it.
It is a lot of work but I operate full time and don't have a second job so I have the time to spare in February and early March. And your right you never know if your going to get it but I consider that my marketing and advertising. Costs a lot less, just time and labor and maybe 50 bucks. If out of those 50 I get 3 I'm happy. If your calling you are interrupting someones day and just telemarketing, but if you do it right and make connects with people and get them to like you over the phone it may be more effective but most of the time they just blow you off. My way puts real numbers in front of someone and lets them know I'm serious. Numbers talk. And business presentation talks and the packet gives me a chance to sell my business to them on their time frame. They don't like it throw it in the trash. Beats taking out a newspaper ad or something and spending more money, fielding lots of phone calls from people who aren't serious and getting work I didn't really want but also didn't want to pass up. I want these business when they get pissed at the business that provides services currently and wants to change to think of me first and I know they're at least looking at the packet and when they go I need to call someone else, they think of my company.