Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,896
Truck payments are more of a personal expense rather than a business expense so to keep it sensible in "Operating Costs" you'll compute Mileage and you'll also find in Tax Prep., Mileage is the way to go...

Stay out of debt and start where you are at, and don't let the math scare you out of it... I started with a pushmower in the trunk of my car and realized I was living the dream w/out so much mowing... It would have been absolute folly to get a loan for a trailer and ztr, before I realized I had better jobs available than mow and blow ,,, only...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,560
He's better than the guys that base their numbers off imaginary accounts they don't even have just to brag about the imaginary bottom line.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
He's better than the guys that base their numbers off imaginary accounts they don't even have just to brag about the imaginary bottom line.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm happy about what I do and I don't worry about what hotdogs claim about their bottomline... with a crazy view of how a business is run,,, there is no way that the crazy accounting methods will bring prosperity...

The more we follow the accounting principles of gov't,,, the more likely we are to fail economically...

Sometimes we step over a dollar to pick up a nickel,,, and sometimes we price ourselves out ofa job...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-09-2013, 10:46 AM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Truck payments are more of a personal expense rather than a business expense so to keep it sensible in "Operating Costs" you'll compute Mileage and you'll also find in Tax Prep., Mileage is the way to go...

Stay out of debt and start where you are at, and don't let the math scare you out of it... I started with a pushmower in the trunk of my car and realized I was living the dream w/out so much mowing... It would have been absolute folly to get a loan for a trailer and ztr, before I realized I had better jobs available than mow and blow ,,, only...
Truck payments are a business expense. IRS allows us to deduct $.55 per mile.

If not landscaping one would not need a truck. One can get by and get better gas mileage with a car.

Without a truck one can not run a landscape business. Yes some people throw in 21" mower in their trunk and do a few lawns when starting out. Though the proof that a truck is needed is that LCO's always move to a truck ASAP.

Whether one always preferred an suv or pickup for their personal use before becoming an LCO. Being an LCO just makes them able to use their favorite type of auto for both work and personal use.

To continue being an LCO when the current truck wears out and needs to be replaced the business needs to of made the money to buy a new one.

Business bought the truck. A truck is a business expense.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM
magicmike's Avatar
magicmike magicmike is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 266
lots of good pointers guys thanks I am going to redo my expenses. Ill repost them once I get better numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-09-2013, 10:17 PM
New2TheGreenIndustry New2TheGreenIndustry is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Truck payments are a business expense. IRS allows us to deduct $.55 per mile.

If not landscaping one would not need a truck. One can get by and get better gas mileage with a car.

Without a truck one can not run a landscape business. Yes some people throw in 21" mower in their trunk and do a few lawns when starting out. Though the proof that a truck is needed is that LCO's always move to a truck ASAP.

Whether one always preferred an suv or pickup for their personal use before becoming an LCO. Being an LCO just makes them able to use their favorite type of auto for both work and personal use.

To continue being an LCO when the current truck wears out and needs to be replaced the business needs to of made the money to buy a new one.

Business bought the truck. A truck is a business expense.
You can either claim truck expenses or mileage, not both. It works out for me to go with mileage. Ends up being about a 15-20k deduction each year.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TheGreenIndustry View Post
You can either claim truck expenses or mileage, not both. It works out for me to go with mileage. Ends up being about a 15-20k deduction each year.
Side note. Once you switch from mileage to itemized you can't go back. For most guys mileage is best. The gov is actually quite generous with the rate. Never claim 100% business use though. Big red flag to IRS. 95% is realistic. Keep stellar mileage records. This is a ripe area for audits when guys make outlandish mileage claims.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 03-10-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 AM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,197
I have to check.

The way I remember you write off the repair and maintenance for the truck or the $.55 per mile. And once you itemize you can not go back to the per mile rate.

Though the truck purchase is treated as any piece of equipment that is bought so one can write off the purchase price of the truck.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM
JALEXANDERSLC JALEXANDERSLC is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Denham Springs LA
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Side note. Once you switch from mileage to itemized you can't go back. For most guys mileage is best. The gov is actually quite generous with the rate. Never claim 100% business use though. Big red flag to IRS. 95% is realistic. Keep stellar mileage records. This is a ripe area for audits when guys make outlandish mileage claims.
Posted via Mobile Device
Patriot,
How do you keep your mileage records? Do you
write it down every day/week and then divide it by 95% at tax time?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALEXANDERSLC View Post
Patriot,
How do you keep your mileage records? Do you
write it down every day/week and then divide it by 95% at tax time?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't anymore, now that I have multiple vehicles and other costs, itemized is to my benefit. Back in the day I just used a Dome hand written log with start and stop mileages daily. At the end of the year I just knocked 5% off that number. The IRS just has a real problem believing 100% of mileage is business. If you get audited they will say "so you never once deviated from the business route to get lunch, pay a bill, pick up groceries on the way home?". That's how much fun audits are. Thankfully I just got to see others. I've been questioned but never a full blown audit. Now they have GPS trackers and other devices, but the Dome book is still IRS approved, cheap and perfect for the small solo op.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.07361 seconds with 7 queries