Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Growth Regulators

Do any of you guys get calls for spraying growth regulators on residential lawns? I've used them on my lawn before and for hard to mow areas but not on a customers lawns at least not yet. I only have used a back pack sprrayer to put down growth regulators just curious if any have sold this service and what are you using to apply. I know its out of reach for most customers but some have asked about them, might have seen it on tv or something and are curious.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is definately something to think about... we have many weedeating areas that often take longer to do than the mowing, so it is impracticle to do more than monthly...
Old 03-08-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know what you mean. I will be using growth regulators more this year to aide in trimming. If used right it can be a very valuable tool. I wish the price of growth regulators would drop a little as I think it woudl be a great seller. The average homeowner can't afford it but it would be a great timesaver for those who enjoy mowing their lawn but don't want to do it every week or don't liek the heavy growth in the Spring.

2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you trying to put yourself out of the mowing business? It works if you can get the app perfect. Its way more expensive than mowing and will not give that just mowed look. Once you stop you will get a massive rebound growth effect. Something I've been fooling with to hasten plug spread and general fill in with St Augustine.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Are you trying to put yourself out of the mowing business? It works if you can get the app perfect. Its way more expensive than mowing and will not give that just mowed look. Once you stop you will get a massive rebound growth effect. Something I've been fooling with to hasten plug spread and general fill in with St Augustine.

Posted via Mobile Device

I do alot of large property mowing so it will never replace that as the costs to treat with growth regulators is high. Now for the small pstage stamp lawns I believe someday this will be the answer. Yes, you have to know what you are doing and this requires the app to have perfect or near perfect coverage. I use it on my home lawn and I keep the just mowed look for 3 weeks but the lawn looks good for at least 4-5 weeks. But even if you mow every two weeks while using growth regulators, it will definately speed up the mowing process. Just something I'm thinking about.

2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I used generic primo last summer on my yard and the in-laws lake house yard. I applied at 1/2 oz/1000 w/some iron about 2weeks after applying 1.25 lb/1000 of N. I think I went 19 days without mowing and then another 13 days after that. This was during May-June, which is our most active growing season. I'll use it again this year. I'm a squirt/fert guy, I hate mowing.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherOkie View Post
I used generic primo last summer on my yard and the in-laws lake house yard. I applied at 1/2 oz/1000 w/some iron about 2weeks after applying 1.25 lb/1000 of N. I think I went 19 days without mowing and then another 13 days after that. This was during May-June, which is our most active growing season. I'll use it again this year. I'm a squirt/fert guy, I hate mowing.
What type of grass was this?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
What are you're experiences with GR on the St Aug?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
What are you're experiences with GR on the St Aug?
On properties that I regularly use it on the hedges, the turf right in front of them grows slower but denser. When the effect wears off (dependant on temps) it will experience explosive growth in height and laterally. I stripped down two small sections of my yard (6 x 6) and plugged them 8" spacing. I treated one section with Primo and triple 12 fert, the other just the fert. Manually plucking any weeds that pop up. This was 45 days ago. The Primo side is about 25% farther along. Nothing stellar. As we come into growing season I'm going to try a larger area of established but spotty SA. I'm not a CPO so the turf experiment is for my amusement. I make money replacing sod. If I have my way I will be removing the SA and putting in LaPrima XD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
On properties that I regularly use it on the hedges, the turf right in front of them grows slower but denser. When the effect wears off (dependant on temps) it will experience explosive growth in height and laterally. I stripped down two small sections of my yard (6 x 6) and plugged them 8" spacing. I treated one section with Primo and triple 12 fert, the other just the fert. Manually plucking any weeds that pop up. This was 45 days ago. The Primo side is about 25% farther along. Nothing stellar. As we come into growing season I'm going to try a larger area of established but spotty SA. I'm not a CPO so the turf experiment is for my amusement. I make money replacing sod. If I have my way I will be removing the SA and putting in LaPrima XD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good plan. The CPOs will bless you because management of bermuda chemical wise is not as hard. On your end, if you want your bermuda to stay bermuda, it is more money for you. Bermuda is to be cut with a reel if the desired effect is fine turf and not a hay field. Invasive coarse grasses tend to take over bermuda mowed with a rotary at cool season grass heights.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738