Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
When I got cutter housings for my Exmark from my dealer they were the same, sealed bearings and a little packet of "lube" for the shaft.
I was wrong about the OEM Exmark spindles they do come packed with grease. I just went out to the shop and looked and sure enough it was stamped "Oregon". I was almost 100% sure the spindle came in an Exmark box!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
I can't even buy OEM Exmark spindles anymore locally. The local dealer doesn't carry any oem parts anymore. Belts are Rotary as are oil and hydro filters. The spindles they sell are Oregon. Funny thing is they still charge OEM prices.
I don't buy anything from my local dealers anymore except stihl trimmers and toro 21's. I bought 4 shindaiwa 802's last yr from Wise Sales and saved $460. I usually buy all my exmark's bank repo with very low hrs or someone who doesn't want to make the payment anymore (no I don't take over payments). I understand my local dealer only buys so much and pay a higher price etc. etc. but that doesn't feed my family or my 401k. If my dealer wants $81 for a spindle I can buy for $40 without leaving the house ($4 a gal gas) then I'm a fool for giving him my business. About 5 yrs ago I finally wised up to a few things. I just wish it wouldn't have taken me 15 yrs of getting screwed over to get there. Anyway if your dealer is charging exmark retail for aftermarket parts I would start buying online unless you have to have it "yesterday". Just my .02
Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I purchase almost exclusively online.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^ same here ^^^^^^^
Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I rebuild my spindles with aftermarket bearings. Cheap. Ten bucks a spindle for a Great Dane and a little more for a Scag. Those damn factory spindles with no grease fittings; well I have a trick for them. I drill out a hole in the housing, thread it, and put a grease fitting in it. I haven't bought an entire spindle assembly in five years or so. I'm no accomplished mechanic either.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 03-12-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
DC and Scag have the best spindle design in the industry IMO. Your right about the seals on sealed bearings. They aren't really designed to have any pressure from the back side. That is strange about Exmark. Any spindle can usually be rebuilt with just bearings,seals, a press and some skill. Its rare when a spindle is too shot to reuse unless its bent. I've rebuilt some of my DC's half a dozen times over the years. I've got a shelf of rebuilts for DC, Wright, Scag, Encore and Toro. One of my winter chores.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would add Ferris to the list, Ferris clearly being #1.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution