Register free!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Off the grid not unlike the unibomber

Saturday I had an interesting experience doing a Flea job off the Grid.

First I drove out into the country on paved roads. After going down a Hwy better known as the Lonesome Road, I came to a locked cattle gate where I meant the Home owner. Once through the gate I followed her down a dirt road through a cow pasture for 3 miles. BTW this house is in the Middle of a State Wild life Preserve and only one of 3 properties not owned by the state.

The house is a 1,000 sq ft Log Cabin on 10 acres build 20 years ago. The Barn and out building were each much bigger and in fact the Horse stable was nicer than the house.

Water is pumped into a 2,500 gallon tank with a gasoline engine and then transfered to the house by a 12v pump. Lights are Powered by solar as is the small window Air Conditioner. Propane is used for heat & cooking. I didn't see a TV or Computer.

I forgot to take a camera, but will do so on my Follow up Treatment in 30 days.

While this was interesting, It is not my cup of tea to live so isolated. The owner is a locally well know Cattle Rancher who rents or leases the Land he runs his cows on. His cattle are spread all over the area on different properties. Real Estate investors love this guy because by letting him run cattle on their investment property they pay Agriculture property tax instead of commercial rates.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While living in Alaska I wanted to live like that. Knew several people who did. My wife wanted no part of it. Closest I ever got to living that way was our 30 day cross-country trip from AK to FL in our truck camper. Nothing but our little generator and propane for comfort.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
While living in Alaska I wanted to live like that. Knew several people who did. My wife wanted no part of it. Closest I ever got to living that way was our 30 day cross-country trip from AK to FL in our truck camper. Nothing but our little generator and propane for comfort.
You have two factors at play here. First is the extreme privacy and second is the Green Thing off the Grid. This Privacy is 3 miles off the Grid. That much privacy certainly has it's advances and dis-advances. In this case the guy can sit on his front porch and deer hunt. But if he shoots himself in the foot, EMS might have a hard time getting to him. Security or break in etc becomes a big issue with any thing in remote areas. In this case the homestead is so remote security is less of an issue.

As for living off the grid but not so far out in the woods, I could do that. Solar powered homes have come a long way. Satellite TV & Internet and cell phones pretty much make off Grid living as comfortable as on Grid. With all the new wireless technology, Off Grid living is more and more appealing.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One guy I knew said if he died, for whatever reason, no one would know for at least a month. He went 4 months without seeing another person. Now that's remote!