Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

brakes pads... all around.

What a sht day today. So i get all excited about getting another plow in and then end the day with hearing that i need brake pads all around. I was plowing when the check engine light came on and so i bring it to the garage because i needed an oil change anyway. ** Im sporting a f250 reg cab 09 with 28.5k miles on it.** The guy calls me up and says the exhaust manifold is cracked (the other side, i was already in to have it replaced and he tells me "the other side" is now cracked and they have to call in parts to get that repaired which is under warranty.) So im pist to begin with because they didnt fix what they said the did to begin with. Then he proceeds to tell me that the break pads need repair because the calipers were sticking and causing the pads to decline even faster. This is an 09 with 28k miles on it, why am i running into these problems so soon anyway? I plow 8 residential properties, not a whole heck of a lot, and i send the truck thru the car wash almost everyday. Anyway, the guy couldnt even tell me how long the new brake pads would last, and that it would cost $560 for pads all around. ( this is the dealership i got the truck). I called up firestone and they said they had a special $104.99 /w $50 rebate for front or rear break pads. Idk if they are they kind i need but that sounds a hell of a lot better than spending close to $600. Anyone know how long break pads should last? The dealership guy said could be a year or a little more... u kidding me? Pay 600 bucks ever year for break pads? i call bs. Help please!!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Those pins tend to freeze up so you need to pull them and grease them up. All depends if your hard on the brakes ,if you ride them or slam them at the last moment they won't last long. Sounds like it's time for you to do your own brakes also!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For 600 dollars, they are doing more than the pads. What else did they say you needed, calipers, rotors...?
Old 03-08-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They said they r just gonna clean the gunk out when they put the new pads on. I baby my truck , I am never hard on the breaks and always slow I.to a stop. I don't speed or anything like that. So I don't understand why this is all happening so soon like I said only 28,000 miles on it . I only had it for just over a year and a quarter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Brake pads come in various materials. Cheap pads are soft and heat eats them up quick. Semi metallic are better but harder on rotors. Modern day best materials are ceramic composites, usually have a lifetime warranty from parts store. Since it isn't under warranty have Firestone do it and ask for top grade pads. I would say the factory pads are fine for commuter duty but not so much for commercial work. They should last longer though. The constant road salt and washing may be making the pin corrosion worse. I doubt the car wash rinses the underbody well enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My question is, are the breaks firestone offers at $105 the same brake pads that this dealership is gonna offer ? Or are firestones breaks not ment for f250 ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
My question is, are the breaks firestone offers at $105 the same brake pads that this dealership is gonna offer ? Or are firestones breaks not ment for f250 ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Well,I just bought pads for my 08 heavy duty pads, Front and back with tax 96.00
Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is that Ur own purchase and install price ? Garages prolly want more ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Depends on what they are made of. Ask.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a rookie when it comes to this what should they be made of for heavy duty ?
Posted via Mobile Device