Register free!

Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why wasnt/isnt it written

O = V / A to simplify things?

Last edited by RhettMan; 03-09-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: not "it" in reference to jims post but, "it" being the science/study and ohm himself , E R I is similar to adding a step
Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

V is Velocity, A is Acceleration, and so on. Electricity showed up later in the game, so they didn't get the pick of the letters.

I for current, is for Intensity of electric flow, and that letter was used by some French guy by the name of Ampere.

Last edited by Wet_Boots; 03-09-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

nevermind..

Last edited by RhettMan; 03-09-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: dont want to prove my ignorance :) though, its already obvious
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
What does E/R=I mean for the ignorant on this forum(me)?
Electromotive force (voltage).

Resistance (Ohms)

Intensity of current (amps)

While voltage changes through a circuit, Amperage remains constant in a series circuit.

3 measurements at the controller will tell you if you have enough juice for breakfast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post

3 measurements at the controller will tell you if you have enough juice for breakfast.
Posted via Mobile Device
which ones?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
nevermind..
Understand that once a letter gets associated with a scientific quantity, it's taken. It is necessary to be able to present an equation that might involve electricity and physical forces and magnetic forces end so on and so forth, and all without getting various items confused with each other. Even though we know most of these items by names that are those of the discovering scientists, that is long after the fact of their discovery and initial naming. Even if electricity came first, the discoverers Ohm and Ampere and Volta weren't going to name the subjects of their studies after themselves.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Understand that once a letter gets associated with a scientific quantity, it's taken. It is necessary to be able to present an equation that might involve electricity and physical forces and magnetic forces end so on and so forth, and all without getting various items confused with each other. Even though we know most of these items by names that are those of the discovering scientists, that is long after the fact of their discovery and initial naming. Even if electricity came first, the discoverers Ohm and Ampere and Volta weren't going to name the subjects of their studies after themselves.
I noticed you quote my saying never mind, before this. Just wanted to note for clarity that:

You see,
after you described why V and A were no longer available, due to being taken by velocity and acceleration, I was reminded a question I have had for a long time now, sparked again by the topic of ohms....

I originally asked in that following post, which now reads "nevermind", the question of whether a continuity test of a curcuit that has a common wire that also goes to the MV would be a two valve curcuit, or a one valve curcuit.

But then i felt stupid because the common also touches many other zone valves also (usually).

So to cover my embarrassment, i pressed edit, erased everything, and wrote "nevermind"

This is very enlightening though, because i think in the future i will try best as possible to think of a post as permanent so as not to confuse.

Ultimately, your description of why V and A were taken is clear my whole goal in elaborating.

Oh, thanks again by the way for fixing that water hammer issue. No telling how different life would be now had that ironic suggestion not crossed my path. I still consider that a hugely influential job.
You know the whole butterfly flaps its wings a thousand miles away theory, anyway....
(thanks to everyone else as well, as always!)

You seem to have good logic and physics understanding, what is your take on Jim's Dowsing rods?

It's keeping me up at night.... I cant tell if its me doing it, or it doing it,.....but its doing it!

I laid out a wire , i walked over it a few times, and.... to be as fair as I can about my observations of it, it seems convincing enough to be frustrating, that the rod movement is somehow related to the wire, in a way that is somehow unrelated to my own manipulation of the rods.

Have you tried this, while simultaneously attempting to believe it?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

P.S. Sorry i keep getting off thread topic like the above post, its a horrible habit and I'll try to fix it ! !

good luck !!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Understand that once a letter gets associated with a scientific quantity, it's taken.
Not true booty. There are numerous cases where letters/symbols have different meanings in different disciplines.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Not true booty. There are numerous cases where letters/symbols have different meanings in different disciplines.
the major players get their own letters. V is for Velocity. A is for Acceleration. F is for Force. M is for Mass. O is for Oreos.