LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
WhatchootalkinaboutWillis?
everything and anything but whatchootawkinbaht'
Old 03-13-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didnt eat red herring today though,

Stoffers, chicken fet-uh-chini alfredo..... VERY moist. I suggest it !

Refrigerated jalapenos added after cooking will reduce microwave to mouth wait time.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Gardens Landscaping View Post
We prefer to take measurements at controller because it's more convenient but how do we do it exactly?
As i have said before, measure the voltage, the resistance and the amperage. All three may be taken at the controller without difficulty.

Voltage is the first measured as one must have the power on and cycle through each zone to receive a measurement.

Resistance is a power off measurement and i suggest that it be taken second to voltage as the common wire should be removed for accurate measurements.

Amperage is the last measurement taken and i carry a short jump wire especially for this test. After performing the resistance measurement you already have the common removed from the controller so i insert the jumper into the common terminal and connect the other end to the system common wire. (my jumper has a fork on one end and an alligator clamp on the other)

I use a leakage clamp meter but you can get by with standard clamp meter and wrap the wire around the clamp 3 or 4 times, the measurement is then divided by the number of turns.

More important than anything is that you need a class where you can get some hands on under the watchful eye of an expert that will help you prevent developing bad habits.

After you are finished make sure that you take a pic of the wiring as you leave it. This will help prevent you from being blamed for non working issues after you leave.

Best of luck
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
.................After you are finished make sure that you take a pic of the wiring as you leave it................
Better yet, take a photo before you move a single wire.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Better yet, take a photo before you move a single wire.
YUP, in 2000 i located a bunch of valves and spare wires at a school here. It was on a Friday and Monday morning i got a call that everything was FUBAR at the ped. The maintenance man had changed a few wires after i left to make his watering schedule work better. Hence, i got blamed for the disconnected common.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for taking the time to write that out 1idejem. I'll have to read that a couple of times and think about it for it to really sink in. Are you in the Bay Area by the way? I was in Oakland but now I'm working out in Contra Costa County. Anyway Merritt College in Oakland has an irrigation class but I don't know if it's any good or not. I also noticed ewing offers classes sometimes. I'll likely check that out.

So here's the result on the repair as I was able to get it resolved but just by fumbling around in spite of all the advice i received here

So I went out to customers house with a spare solenoid this morning. I popped that in and guess what? Same problem. In spite of the good advice on this forum I still feel mostly out of my depths to do much in the way of electrical troubleshooting but I did establish that the solenoid is not the problem, I also know that all of the other stations work properly.

Next I decided to examine the diaphragm and check to make sure the interior of valve is clean. Didn't notice any breaks or holes but did observe some very fine cracks and the diaphragm looked somewhat deteriorated. So I went down and bought a new diaphragm and popped it in and that resolved the problem, yeah
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Gardens Landscaping View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that out 1idejem. I'll have to read that a couple of times and think about it for it to really sink in. Are you in the Bay Area by the way? I was in Oakland but now I'm working out in Contra Costa County. Anyway Merritt College in Oakland has an irrigation class but I don't know if it's any good or not. I also noticed ewing offers classes sometimes. I'll likely check that out.
i reside a bit north of you http://www.ijpr.org/page.asp?navid=1033

Quote:
So here's the result on the repair as I was able to get it resolved but just by fumbling around in spite of all the advice i received here
yeh but look at all that you put up with. Take the Ewing classes, they are good people and instructors
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BAM ! !

..liability insurance!

sorry...all hoped up on diet cokes....6 cans today.