Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't jump anything out...you could blow the ECU..
Get a good battery...check voltage to the starter shift solenoid..if voltage good..starter is bad..
If voltage is weak..check your fuses ...and the square plastic relays...one is for the starter..
Old 03-09-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't mess with changing the bendix either assuming it is bad. Its an aggravating exercise. A new starter is the best option. I'm not convinced it isn't in the electrical system either. Diagnosing electrical via the net is almost as aggravating as in person.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I wouldn't mess with changing the bendix either assuming it is bad. Its an aggravating exercise. A new starter is the best option. I'm not convinced it isn't in the electrical system either. Diagnosing electrical via the net is almost as aggravating as in person.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea i know how you feel. i hate working on engines. i loathe electrical. I think it is also possible that its the solenoid. Perhaps you can confirm that this is how it works.

* pole one. hot wire from battery. simple enough.

* pole two comes out and is connected via wire to the starter. (this is where i was jumping to)

* pole three, a smaller pole with a small tab and small wire.

is pole 3 the ground in which when enabled connects the two bigger poles allowing power to the starter motor? and to test the solenoid i would want to test the power going to it to be sure its powered enough, and maually ground out the small 3rd pole?

Because im thinking it might actually have a bad solenoid being that i was jumping directly to the motor.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree Patriot..its not an exact science..
I got lucky and got 1 fixed last week...but the guy knew his way around the engine..
I have the same mower..72 Toro Thread...if you are not familiar with the electronics...it can be. Intimidating..
BTW...not a good idea to jump start an EFI engine..
Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Slappers the Kohler guru here. I will defer to him. The newer efi engines don't take kindly to random jumping of circuits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Birdseed....I have given you instruction twice....you have to go through the motions..
Forget about the starter...until you verify that you have 12v to the small wire on the shift solenoid when trying to crank..
If you don't systematically check the electronics...you will go in circles...and possibly blow the computer...
Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Actualy while you were typing this i had found my meter. I have just shy of 12 v on the battery. same on the main wire to the starter and shy of 8 v from the small terminal wire of the solenoid which goes up to shy of 12 v when i turn the key

when you say "shift" solenoid, you are talking about the starter solenoid?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The shift solenoid is the one attatched to the starter..
You have a weak battery...you should have a minimum of 12.5 volts...preferably 12.75 or higher..
Your battery needs to have over 300 cranking amps....400 amps is better...
Get a new battery...
Old 03-09-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The battery might show more after a night of charging. it was compleetly dead earlier today.

however i also tested it hooked up directly to my car battery. my battery may be weak but since i replaced the battery with a known good battery it has to be something else. most likely the solenoid. but i would feel better about buying a new one if i could confirm the solenoid being bad.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

jsut want to reiterate, i had my car battery hooked up withOUT the mower battery tied in. just so there is no confusion that i kept them both hooked up.