Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In need of motivation

I have been working 3 weeks straight on one project or another. So on Tuesday I finally decided that I was going to take a few days off.

So I woke up this morning with full intentions of walking up straights to my home office and pushing some paper around.

Last weekend we had some rain on Friday, over nit the temps dropped, but the rain had dried up before that happened. I got a call at 11 am, saying there where two slip and falls and they needed emergency salt service. So we went, property was dry. Called the property manager, she said salt it anyway. So we did.

Last night we had some spotty snow showers which dusted over the property. Sent our guys out at 7 this morning, they decided to salt.

Notified the property manager

Got a response back, they were upset with the salting, and that our spread threw some salt on cars and at the building. (We only applied at half rate)

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. It just made me want to throw the iPad across the room and take today off to.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Nothing is more stressful than the plowing and salting business. I cant think of any business where you are appreciated less than in this business!

We plowed the other day at 3am and got another inch by 7am. Of course a few people call and ask "why didnt you plow?" They just look out the window and see white and pick up the phone. Sometimes they really dont believe me that we were there!

18 years of plowing is too many!

The money is good but I am close to hanging up my hat. Just need to get my overhead down to where I can do without. That might happen this summer.