Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
Uhh...because I said start with the basics like everybody else has. When you fully grasp the flyer concept, move on to the BBB. It had nothing to do with assuming your service was poor. Stop being so defensive and closed minded.
My apologies for the assumption. What is there not to understand about flyers. My design could be a bit better. And I plan on having the post office deliver them this year. and hopefully a lot more. I also want to put out some door hangers myself and see if i get a better response from them.

I have also entertained the idea of paying others to deliver hangers to get more out quicker.

At what month do you recommend they get put out? usually we start mowing here half way through April.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I also want to become part of the kalamazoo chamber of commerce
Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I have also entertained the idea of paying others to deliver hangers to get more out quicker.
You have repeatedly said yourself that you are poor, so how can you afford to hire somebody to spread flyers? Have you fixed the 4 wheel drive in your truck yet? Is your mower fixed yet? Put on your walking shoes, get off the computer and hit the pavement.

48" Bobcat WB w/ 14hp Kohler
21" Troy Built
Echo 225 trimmer/edger combo
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
You have repeatedly said yourself that you are poor, so how can you afford to hire somebody to spread flyers? Have you fixed the 4 wheel drive in your truck yet? Is your mower fixed yet? Put on your walking shoes, get off the computer and hit the pavement.
I am meaning in addition to my own work. Plowing customers started paying me. Waiting on a solenoid to be delivered then I should be able to flush my mower and get it going. I do have a bit of extra cash to invest. Finally. If I want to get by this summer it needs to go into advertisement.

as far as my truck goes. I don't have the tool to hook a slide hammer to the intermediate shaft. im not too worried about it as i dont need it again till next year. when it warms up and im ready for summer ill weld a chunk to the end of the shaft so i can pull it out.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you think about radio ads? has anyone had good results with them?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What tips would you put on the flyer?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey bird, do you know dave from Pro Turf? He runs a pretty big lawn business in kalamazoo.
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no i dont. i dont really know any of them. worked for the owner of deyoung personally. he's a great guy.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

There are also ways to increase business without spending additional money on advertising. I think the one thing many people don't think about is using their existing customer base to build their business. I scaled my business down to part time when my wife and I had our daughter due to the high costs of daycare and not wanting to miss her growing up. When I'm ready to go back to fulltime, I plan on asking my existing customer base to refer me to friends or neighbors. I'm pretty confident that most of my customers could probably get me a customer. I would think I could probably almost double the business through them (especially if I work it in with a referral type program). I take good care of my customers. They like my work. I feel my prices are fair, and I help them out from time to time (for a fee of course) with things that aren't neccessarily in the scope of my normal duties (i.e. haul stuff to the dump for them, pick up and deliver big bulky things, etc). Let it be known to your customers you are looking for more work and insure them it's not going to sacrifice the quality of work you currently provide.
I also think you need to network with local contractors who do your quality level of work, not in your field and work to help each other out with referrals. One of my customers is a plumber and has asked me several times if I'm looking for more work but unfortunatetly at this point I'm at my max while still being able to do things wth my daughter. Anytime the topic of plumbing comes up with my customers I push his name.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea I know how that is. plowing was keeping me away from the family. mainly from the time doing repairs.