Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you think of my new flyer? I still have to make the back of it. and would also like some door hangers. might just stick with this one and put it in the door.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Your website doesn't work.
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Still working on that one. another big factor in why my advertisements did not work. will have it soon. at least something.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
Still working on that one. another big factor in why my advertisements did not work. will have it soon. at least something.
You put out ads with out having a working website?
Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I submitted this about a year ago

grincon
View Public Profile
Send a private message to grincon
Find all posts by grincon
Add grincon to Your Contacts

04-08-2011, 11:44 AM
TriageLawn LawnSite Member Join Date: Sep 2009

I got into the lawn business by accident. 25 years ago, I was cutting grass in the neighborhood as way to make money, so I could go on family trips and have my own money. I didn't advertise. I didn't market but somehow I got alot of business and people were paying me to cut their yards.

I was like you my friend. I didn't know where to start or how to begin. So one day I was out cutting my neighbors yard and then it hit me, it hit me so hard I stopped cutting and starting thinking. How about I cut someones lawn for free and advertise like that? I just laughed it off and forgot about it for about 2 hours. Then I watched a show called Yard Crashers, I think. It was a show where they find the ugliest yard on the block and make it over. I was like, "Thats what I will do"

So I devised a plan and executed it with impeccable results. I chose a neighboring subdivision and found a yard that was hideous. The yard had spots, the bermuda was growing over the sidewalk, the grass was 3 different colors and to top it off, she had just been fined by the HOA for not maintaining a well kept yard.

I knew it was a long shot, so I convinced her to let me maintain her yard and in exchange for my free services, all she had to do was let me place my sign in front of her yard with my flyers and pricing information. She trusted me from the very beginning, so I knew this would be an easy sell.

Well to make this long story short. That one yard in that ONE subdivision gave me 8 clients. 2 of those clients wanted their yards done like the ugly yard, the exposure was great because I was referrred by alot of people.

I just want to make one point. It is a must to think outside the box. Sometimes traditional methods will not work and you will need to reinvent yourself and your business. I recently did a subdivision where i was offering free lawn service for one day. Sounds crazy doesn't it??? But I gained such an advantage because people that wanted that offer had to come to me and talk to me directly. I gained 11 customers from that subdivision and from that very subdivision, I gained another 2 clients that wanted their yards completely made over.

I can guarantee you this my friend. You're not going to get anywhere by competing with the rest of the guys that JUST CUT GRASS. You need to create a culture around your business.

1. Start a newsletter
2 Go to the park and hand out free water but with your BUSINESS NAME and logo on the water bottle.

3. Put a sign on your car
4. Enter into a business network : Joining others that can help you benefit from their business. For instance, become friends with a landscaper, become friends with a turf care company, become friends with people that have access to homeowners. And then once you guys make a business connection, you can form your own business network and make money that way. Do you get my drift? Network with those that can benefit your business and services.

5. Think outside the box
6. FREE is not such a bad word

I joined a network called THE UNTOUCHABLES. The name sounds weird but can you believe some people love it. We are made up of.....

1. Turf Care Company
2. Landscaper
3. A/C Heater Company
4. Gutter Cleaning
5. Painters
6. Interior Designer
7. Roofers
6. Mobile Detailing

There are 10 of us but I can't quite remember the others. I have access to all their customers and they have access to mine. We've gained new customers and let me tell you WE ARE ROLLING.

We all approach it as something WE NEED. These are tough and DARK economic times and WE all need each other. Going at it alone is possible but such a long process. Create a network and sell yourself.

TriageLawn
Old 03-16-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks I got some good ideas from that I especially like the 1 about free lawn care for a day
Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Facebook and twitter are great tools for getting the word out. Great way to keep up with "what's up," as a way to upsell services, for your customers to leave reviews. You can show off your work, your equipment. If it is grass roots it is a cheap way (free) way to promote yourself. If you want you can pony up and advertise to help spread the word.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
Facebook and twitter are great tools for getting the word out. Great way to keep up with "what's up," as a way to upsell services, for your customers to leave reviews. You can show off your work, your equipment. If it is grass roots it is a cheap way (free) way to promote yourself. If you want you can pony up and advertise to help spread the word.
People subscribe for LCO twitters?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

complaining about 1-2 % is crazy right isnt 2% amazing? I find door hangers to be best if you dont have a huge budget. I leave a blank spot when i design my hangers and write in a number with a sharpie. I make a ton of them the night before with different prices and then hit the streets. I have two girls doing it for me this year. pay them 8 bux an hour but only pay hourly if you trust them if not pay by the door hanger. I was getting 3 weeklys for every 100 i passed out last year. It beats the junk mail feel and they see the number right away i didnt even meet half of the people last year they saw my hanger saw the price and called me said when can u start.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what i got last year was more like .02%. 2000 flyers for like, 2 customers. and low paying customers. but this year iv got a much better flyer and plan on delivering it better. soon as it stops snowing.