Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Scotts or Sta-Green

This is for my own yard....Bermuda type lawn with lots of broadleaf weeds too. The difference is like $30 between Scotts product and Sta-Green, with the Scotts being the more expensive. I need a fert and crabgrass preventer. Do you get what you pay for or would be paying for just the "Scotts" name? .....or is there is a better product out there I should look at?

48" Bobcat WB w/ 14hp Kohler
21" Troy Built
Echo 225 trimmer/edger combo
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer

Last edited by Banksy; 03-10-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is likely the Scotts product is better. They are the top brand name, and work to protect their reputation, and support their higher price with advertising. Take a look at the percentage of slow-release nitrogen. It will usually be about half of the total nitrogen, sometimes less. Say if it has 26 percent nitrogen, about half will be in a slowly available form sometimes more like a third. They may word the label in a way that makes it appear like more. Scotts sometimes claim that their form of slow-release is better than sulfur coated nitrogen of the second tier brands.
Stagreen probably uses dithiopyr crabgrass control. I am not sure if Scotts is using Pendimethalin or has changed to Tenacity (mesotrione) active ingredient in their Halts product.
In either case if they use the minimum allowed amount, it may not last through the whole season in a warm location like NC, and if the temperature has hit 80 so far this spring--you may be too late.
and...keep in mind crabgrass control will not usually control broadleaf weeds--which you mentioned first.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

It's still cool here. Frost on windshields still. I'll do it this week with the second teir brand just in case I am too late, I didn't throw $100+ on material on the lawn for nothing. Can I use two products at the same time or wait to do the broadleaf kill AFTER the crabgrass stuff?

21" Troy Built
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer
Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Usually--if you still get a frost at night--that will kill new crabgrass seedlings.

Since its is likely both products contain fertilizer, you don't want to use both fertilizer treatments in the same week. The Bermuda cannot actually use the fert until it starts to green up. But you probably cannot find a crabgrass preventer that does not have fertilizer in it, also.
Best would be to apply a liquid weed control--like Ortho Weed B -Gone. If you want to use a weed and feed product, you should wait about 5 weeks after the first fert treatment to avoid excess and reduce contamination of ground water.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Good deal. Thanks.

21" Troy Built
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I raked the front and one of the side yards well yesterday, watered them with the hose and then spreaded Scotts Weed&Feed plus 2. The rotary spreader I have is a quality unit, but there is some slack in the setting controls. I just set it to a moderate amount, so as to try to not over do it. The weather said nothing about rain for 24 hours, but it rained some last night (seemed light and was drizzling this morning). Will that lessen the affect of the product at all, since it says not to use within 24 hours of rain? Anyway, hope this stuff helps.

21" Troy Built
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do your crabgrass control first. Then do the weed control later. Light rain after a few hours later should cause no lessening of weed control.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 AM
LawnSite Member

The weeds are 100 times worse than the crabgrass. I reevaluated my yard and I'm going to tackle the crabgrass next year. I think I am too late for crabgrass anyway. I already see it growing in some spots. Thanks though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

It seems that the product has started working. The low growing, broadleaf weed with the silver/white on the back are curling up and dying. The grass that is starting to come up is a nice green and looks to be growing relatively quick. The dandy lions seem to be fighting to hold on though.

21" Troy Built
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer