Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

company truck

I am hiring a new tech for this season and I want to offer him the truck to take home as a perk and also the option to take an emergency call if need be. I was wondering if any of you guys offer this or if you are the recipient of this. What kind of rules and policies should I be thinking about?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only rule that matters is the truck is for work only, any other use is prohibited.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I would be cautious about giving a new hire a truck to take home. I gave a co. truck to a 12 year employee to use for work only with a list of agreed rules and he used the truck for personal use and side jobs - and ended up getting fired. I would at the very least have a written agreement and a gps tracking system. In my opinion the risks outweigh the benefits. You could be liable for anything he does with the vehicle while not at work.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Trust but verify. I'm a field supervisor at a larger, growing landscape/excavation company. A couple of our guys, including me, are able to take plow and salt trucks home in the winter, especially if they live near accounts. The trucks are only a perk for us to get our work done easier, not a personal truck. Although we are allowed to run close errands due to a typical lack of our own vehicle, if we get called in and "can't make it," automatic termination. We have managers and employees living all around a 20-ish mile area from the shop, so there's a chance that if you venture too far away, somebody will see. Plus there's a close communication network.

I don't think GPS is necessary, but I do think a written policy is necessary. We don't have one, but maybe our situation is different.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Employees can justify any of their actions and you have to accept that if they take a rig home it will end up at the store, the movie house, the school or even a wild pig hunt.

If you're not comfortable with that, don't let them take it home.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a company vehicle use agreement that we make supervisors sign. I'll send you a copy if you want. It's pretty detailed on exactly what the employee can and can't do with the vehicle. All of our trucks have GPS tracking systems in them so I can log on at any time and see where they are and what the drivers are up to. Even with that I've caught supervisors taking the truck on 50 mile non work related adventures at all hours of the night. The GPS is also great for employees who do not report to the shop first in the morning because you can see what time they actually start working.... had a salesperson once who was supposed to start at 9:00 every morning who I caught starting at like 10 to 10:30.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Consult thyself, as if thou shalt be as fortunate as thy help.

Perks, as salt, are easier to add, than than to remove after having been added.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
I have a company vehicle use agreement that we make supervisors sign. I'll send you a copy if you want. It's pretty detailed on exactly what the employee can and can't do with the vehicle. All of our trucks have GPS tracking systems in them so I can log on at any time and see where they are and what the drivers are up to. Even with that I've caught supervisors taking the truck on 50 mile non work related adventures at all hours of the night. The GPS is also great for employees who do not report to the shop first in the morning because you can see what time they actually start working.... had a salesperson once who was supposed to start at 9:00 every morning who I caught starting at like 10 to 10:30.
Thanks I sent you a PM with my email
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would try and monitor miles. Maybe have you or somebody higher up have to sign off on the miles before going home for the day. That might stop the urge to just hop in the company truck and run some errands.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 03-10-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
Bet you have never been surprised with a dump truck load of live 20lb. wild pigletts at 5 am.
Posted via Mobile Device