Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
assuring to hear this.

thats basically how I seem to do it as well. I calculate my parts once a year. my bird-bucks' and gift card tell me somewhat where I am a little before that.

are you repair, or install, focused?
We are repair/service only. And we count inventory late November once work is done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
My guys keep a blank service order ( service orders have all parts and they just need to write in amount) with them and write down thigs they used. Next time they see me or go to supply house , they restock.
sounds like they have everything on hand. big trailer/truck?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
sounds like they have everything on hand. big trailer/truck?
f-250 with cross boxes and 2 side boxes, ranger with the same setup.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

we started adding gps last year. Employees with take homes are allowed to use the trucks as they would their own, except no non-employee passengers and no illegal activities (ie no alcohol in their system at all, ZERO TOLERANCE). But with gps we are easily able to track mileage that is business related and that that is personal. There personal use is reported quarterly to the IRS as a company provided benefit and they are taxed on it.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenI.A. View Post
we started adding gps last year. Employees with take homes are allowed to use the trucks as they would their own, except no non-employee passengers and no illegal activities (ie no alcohol in their system at all, ZERO TOLERANCE). But with gps we are easily able to track mileage that is business related and that that is personal. There personal use is reported quarterly to the IRS as a company provided benefit and they are taxed on it.
how is taking a truck home a benefit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
No commute to the office to get the company truck so they can leave the house later and still show up on the site at the same time. They also don't have to burn fuel or put wear and tear on their vehicle daily. Less mileage on their personal vehicle results in higher resale value and lower insurance rates. They can go straight home from the last job instead of having to sit in traffic to go to the shop and then in traffic to get home so again, home earlier so they can spend more time with their family.

How is taking a truck home not a benefit?

But I think the person you were asking is reporting the mileage that they use for personal stuff as a benefit to the IRS. Since in that case the company is providing a vehicle, fuel and insurance for personal use, that would be a taxable benefit because it does have a real value that the IRS will want to tax.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bernie, i have been on both sides of company rigs but never from the service side.

When i took an employor's truck home i had to clean, fuel and maintain the rig on my own time.

The driver always has to pick laborers up at a show-up and drop them off.

There is also the parking problem with those that live in town. Theft too.

On top of that you are always on call because of the truck, its contents and your possesion of both.

As an employee the only way to roll is portal to portal. Like Dana's men are.

As an employor i have had guys use them as personal rigs where they drove them to the store, picked the kids up, hauled cows to the sale yard, forgot to fuel them, were late or sick and someone else had to cover or tools purchased to get work done.

Then there was the wild pig incident.

Anyhow, i don't think having a take home rig is worth being spied upon or taxed. If you don't trust me, i'll drive to the shop and i will be just as happy.

That's just been my experience and my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
No commute to the office to get the company truck so they can leave the house later and still show up on the site at the same time. They also don't have to burn fuel or put wear and tear on their vehicle daily. Less mileage on their personal vehicle results in higher resale value and lower insurance rates. They can go straight home from the last job instead of having to sit in traffic to go to the shop and then in traffic to get home so again, home earlier so they can spend more time with their family.

How is taking a truck home not a benefit?

But I think the person you were asking is reporting the mileage that they use for personal stuff as a benefit to the IRS. Since in that case the company is providing a vehicle, fuel and insurance for personal use, that would be a taxable benefit because it does have a real value that the IRS will want to tax.
bcg - exactly. The are taxed for what they use for personal use. Mileage to the first stop and home after the last is not fully considered personal use or business, they are only taxed for what is beyond the milage that it is from the shop. For example: say the first stop is a 25 mile drive from the techs house, but that job is only 10 miles from the shop, then they are taxed on the 15 miles, because if they started at the shop they would have put 10 miles on it anyways. It was a lot of paperwork to get it going, but hour GPS gives us all the info in an excel file. I invested a sunday afternoon playing with excel formulas and now I can run the numbers each week and it takes less than 3 minutes per truck.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Anyhow, i don't think having a take home rig is worth being spied upon
Now that is downright unamerican.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenI.A. View Post
bcg - exactly. The are taxed for what they use for personal use. Mileage to the first stop and home after the last is not fully considered personal use or business, they are only taxed for what is beyond the milage that it is from the shop. For example: say the first stop is a 25 mile drive from the techs house, but that job is only 10 miles from the shop, then they are taxed on the 15 miles, because if they started at the shop they would have put 10 miles on it anyways. It was a lot of paperwork to get it going, but hour GPS gives us all the info in an excel file. I invested a sunday afternoon playing with excel formulas and now I can run the numbers each week and it takes less than 3 minutes per truck.
So, in effect you are charging them for driving your truck to shop.

What happens when the first job is 50 miles in the opposite direction of the shop and 35 miles from the techs house?

How's that excel out?

Do you pay the 15 mile difference or are your techs paid portal to portal?
Posted via Mobile Device