Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

hydro help

i have two hustler 60" with the diesel motors one has xr 7 deck the other is a rear discharge deck. the rear discharge gave me problems at end of season last year. would run fine for 20 minutes or so then start slipping. i changed hydro filter and fluid and it ran great for about 8 - 10 hours then the same thing. it would only go about 20 minutes after that then start slipping again. i quit using it due to that and not much grass to mow. could it be the belt stretched maybe? i wouldnt think it would be a pump already but im not certain on that. mower has between 600 - 800 hours on it. any help would be greatly appreciated. terry
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Sponsor

When you say slipping what do you mean? Is there a whining noise like a bad power steering pump on your truck? When it's slipping are there air bubbles in the oil reservoir? I'm thinking you are sucking air into the system.

Brian O
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Might not hurt to do a hydro oil filter and oil change. I have had one diesel hydro filter to collapse and starve the system of oil causing it to slip once it gets hot.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Sponsor

Good advise.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I overlooked where you said that you already changed the fluid and filter. I had one where that was the original problem and the change fixed it, then a few weeks later it done it again. I changed it all again and been doing great for the past year or so now. So to make a long story short, I had two filters collapse back to back. Not sure if this is anything related to your issue, but thought it might help. They need to use the Hyperdrive filter in the diesel units in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Sponsor

I would still check the filter, he is describing a starvation of oil. Still waiting to hear if there is air being sucked into the line. Did one side slip prior to the other?

Brian O
Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys, i had typed another post about a few things but i think my computer went down before it got posted. i need to know how is should check for air bubbles. i really appreciate the help on this, i am probably agree with you both on the filter issue but will check both. thanks again
terry
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Sponsor

Terry,
You'll see what looks like the head of a nicely poured Guinness forming on top in the oil reservoir. If you are sucking air from one of the lines the pumps will compress the air and not the oil. When the machine sits for a while the air in the line dissipates and you are good to go again until too mush air is sucked in. The filter could cause this issue by restricting the oil and the pumps suck in air because it's easier.

Hope this helps,
Brian