Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Tall Fescue is this brown spot?

A brief history.

Lawn was planted as a mix of Tall Fescue and Rye late last summer. I didn't fertilize in the fall and we had no snow cover at any point this winter just the usual endless Seattle rain. Lawns around here started coming of dormancy in early March. My lawn seemed to be particularly yellow so I put down a light application of fertilizer. The lawn looked good for the past few months but is now starting to yellow again.

The problem.

I wasn't able to take a good picture of the lawn today due to the weather but this is a picture I found that shows a good example of the yellowing pattern I am seeing. (My green areas aren't as green and my dying areas aren't as dead but this gives you an idea of how the problem is spreading through my lawn.)

I plucked a few blades of grass and took a picture.

Here is a link to a higher resolution picture.
https://z7v15w.sn2.livefilestore.com...mQ/TF_full.JPG

Can someone tell me from these pictures if this is brown spot, another disease or just simply dying grass?

I have a soil sample out for testing but it will be a couple weeks before I get the results.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no turfgrass disease called brown spot, did you mean brown patch? Identifying any disease from picture's on the internet is highly subjective. If this is important to you, try this.

http://www.plantpath.wsu.edu/diagnostics/

Sending out a soil sample was your best bet, just be patient.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Brown Patch, Leaf Spot, Net Blotch, Rust; I can't keep the names straight in my head and they all look the same to me. However, yes, I did mean brown patch.

Thanks for the link to the WSU diagnostic service. I'll wait on the soil results and go from there.