Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 PM
CLARK LAWN's Avatar
CLARK LAWN CLARK LAWN is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: youngstown, ohio
Posts: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalllc View Post
32vld is rt. if you add the truck with the trailer they go by a combo weight.(gvw) not just the truck or the trailer. so if you can hall lets say 100 lbs with your truck and your trailer is 200 lbs dry , your over loaded. you add weight to the trailer of 50 lbs and the trailer can hold 25 lbs then there both over loaded, and that ends up costing you a lot in fines by a dot cop. also look at what your licence plate is rated at. if you have a 7000 lb plate and you are putting 10000 lbs in it you are over loaded too. even if you have the room to add to your cgvw. It can get out of had if you dont pay close attention. Its just common sense.
So much misinformation here I don't even know were to start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM
djagusch djagusch is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
Thats a pain. Thankfully around here they're much more relaxed with the lawn care guys.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
No they are not. Been pulled over twice between hudson and st croix falls
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM
lalllc lalllc is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Wayne In.
Posts: 68
I do know that you can call Iosc extension office. They should be able to help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 AM
stroker51 stroker51 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northeast Kansas
Posts: 820
Jack, it has nothing to do with actual weight as far as when you become a "motor carrier". It has to do with rated weight. Look at the VIN tag inside the door jam of the trucks, it will say what the gvwr of the truck is, find the vin tag on the trailers, your mow trailer is 7k, tractor hauler is probably 14k, enclosed is at least 7k. Add truck and trailer RATINGS up, and that will decide if you are considered a motor carrier. Anything over 10,001 gcvwr, meaning combined rating, makes you a motor carrier if that rig makes you money. Actual weight does matter as far as overload tickets go, but I don't know any lawn guys that have ever been scaled, it is what your rig is capable of weighing that matters. 3/4 tons are 8-9k on gvwr, my one tons have been between 9500 and 11000 depending on how the truck is set up. The only way I have figured out around the gustapo is 1/2 ton trucks and single axle trailers, but I'm not hot on the idea of hanging plows on half tons.
__________________
--Lawn Enhancement Engineer--
24 years old
4 Powerstrokes Hiniker & Western plows & salters
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM
SchannaultROLC's Avatar
SchannaultROLC SchannaultROLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 542
Like others have stated it is all based off of weight RATING, not gross weight. My truck has a GVWR of 6950, and my single axle trailer has a GVWR of 2995. This puts me at a Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 9945. Note, this is not actual weight, but the weight rating, which is the gross weight then weight accounted for payload, passengers, etc. So, going by US DOT regulations, I would not need a DOT number to operate this combination as a motor carrier, however my vehicle still needs to be lettered with business name/phone while being operated.

As of last year all states go by US DOT regulations by the FMCSA, although some states enforce more than others. This states that any motor carrier (truck or truck/trailer combo operated to make money) with a GVWR (single truck) or a GCWR (truck and trailer) of over 10,001 needs a US DOT Number, whether you are intrastate or interstate. I have a DOT number on my truck because the minute I hook up to a bigger trailer I'm over my GCWR. It's not hard to get a DOT number. Go to the FMCSA website and apply for one. Most LCO are intrastate non-hazmat, which means you only operate within your state and carry no hazardous materials (Large scale fertilizer tanks, etc.), which then you may need a CDL endorsement or other licensing requirements. It is free to get a DOT number, and you can update it as you need as you grow your company.

Now, for DOT inspections on your vehicles. If you are operating under 10,001lbs, like my example above, you do not need your vehicle or trailer inspected. However, if you go over that, make sure that both truck and trailer have inspection tags and all parts (Lights, brake away controller, etc.) are working, because you do not want a hefty ticket because of a broken light bulb. Most LEO's will not look at a guy with a half ton and a single axle, because most likely, unless it is CLEARLY overloaded, the driver is not. DOT officers are looking more for 3/4 tons and double axles, dump trucks and trailers, etc.

Just my .02 haha
__________________

20 Years Old
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 PM
skorum03 skorum03 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Like others have stated it is all based off of weight RATING, not gross weight. My truck has a GVWR of 6950, and my single axle trailer has a GVWR of 2995. This puts me at a Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 9945. Note, this is not actual weight, but the weight rating, which is the gross weight then weight accounted for payload, passengers, etc. So, going by US DOT regulations, I would not need a DOT number to operate this combination as a motor carrier, however my vehicle still needs to be lettered with business name/phone while being operated.

As of last year all states go by US DOT regulations by the FMCSA, although some states enforce more than others. This states that any motor carrier (truck or truck/trailer combo operated to make money) with a GVWR (single truck) or a GCWR (truck and trailer) of over 10,001 needs a US DOT Number, whether you are intrastate or interstate. I have a DOT number on my truck because the minute I hook up to a bigger trailer I'm over my GCWR. It's not hard to get a DOT number. Go to the FMCSA website and apply for one. Most LCO are intrastate non-hazmat, which means you only operate within your state and carry no hazardous materials (Large scale fertilizer tanks, etc.), which then you may need a CDL endorsement or other licensing requirements. It is free to get a DOT number, and you can update it as you need as you grow your company.

Now, for DOT inspections on your vehicles. If you are operating under 10,001lbs, like my example above, you do not need your vehicle or trailer inspected. However, if you go over that, make sure that both truck and trailer have inspection tags and all parts (Lights, brake away controller, etc.) are working, because you do not want a hefty ticket because of a broken light bulb. Most LEO's will not look at a guy with a half ton and a single axle, because most likely, unless it is CLEARLY overloaded, the driver is not. DOT officers are looking more for 3/4 tons and double axles, dump trucks and trailers, etc.

Just my .02 haha

Very well explained. I think many will appreciate that.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
__________________
2000 Silverado Half ton 4x4
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4
2001 Ford F250 PSD w/8ft Western Ultra Mount
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM
SchannaultROLC's Avatar
SchannaultROLC SchannaultROLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
Very well explained. I think many will appreciate that.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
I hope it helps. I went through this about a couple months ago when I wanted to letter my truck. After talking between state and the FMCSA I got one and threw it on my truck.

Also, word of advice to all of those getting a DOT number. When you apply for it, they will assign one to you right away. You will get phone calls from a bunch of second hand companies, but make sure the person calling is from the FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY ADMINISTRATION. I had one guy call me saying that he needed $200.00 for my background check, $7.00 for a regulation book, and a bunch of other bull****. I asked him if he was from the FMCSA and hung up on me
The FMCSA will send you a letter telling you what YOU need to do to comply, they won't make you, because if you don't do what they tell you, and you get busted, they'll just deactivate your DOT number. So, for most LCO's, a DOT number is a simple process. It's when you get into 26,001+ vehicles, Hazmat, multiple drivers, etc, things get more complicated (medical cards, inspections, licensing, etc.) but that comes with this job.

Also, make sure you have the proper license to operate a commercial vehicle in your state! Here in Michigan you need a Chauffeurs license to operate a commercial vehicle over 10,001lbs, either GVWR or GCWR, so do your homework.

Hope this helps anybody questioning DOT regulations.

You can check out this page, its the FMCSA DOT Registration page
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...escription.htm
__________________

20 Years Old
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 PM
ncknaklawns ncknaklawns is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 379
Note if your over 18K in some states you need a Heavy Inspection done on the pickup. So a 1 ton pickup with twin axel trailer of 5K each your GCWR is 20K
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker51 View Post
Jack, it has nothing to do with actual weight as far as when you become a "motor carrier".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Like others have stated it is all based off of weight RATING, not gross weight.
Actually it is based off of GVWR, CGVWR, GVW or CGVW. If any are over 10k.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 PM
SchannaultROLC's Avatar
SchannaultROLC SchannaultROLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Actually it is based off of GVWR, CGVWR, GVW or CGVW. If any are over 10k.
GVWR, and CGVWR are ratings. GVW and CGVW is gross curb weight, which is what it actually weighs. That only comes into play for determining payload to make sure you are not overloaded, etc. Determining if you need a DOT is based solely off of your ratings, not your curb weight, because that is already factored into your rating. Truck Weight + Payload = Rating, same with Trailer Weight + Payload = Rating.

GVW/GCVW only matters with weighing your setup. Example. Truck has a GVWR of 10,100lbs, even though your truck may only have a GVW of 8200lbs, you still need a US DOT number to operate it commercially. They look at your ratings for determining if you need a DOT number. GVW/GCVW comes in at the CAT scale.

Point is, when determining if you NEED a DOT number, only look at what you are operating with Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings or Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings.
__________________

20 Years Old
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.07512 seconds with 7 queries