Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In NY if you have trailer brakes and all duel axels need brakes then you need yealy inspection. All this DOT stuff is by the state even though it is USDOT which gets more involved for Inter-state travel.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Not necessarily. My ole 3fiddy is rated for 9900. It's registered for 12k. I'm not overloaded until 12,001.
Right, I get where you're coming from. I was just trying to address the main guys problem of DOT numbers and towing. I don't have any 3/4 or 1 ton trucks to compare, just my 1/2 ton and a single axle. But I do know what you mean when you compare the difference between rated and registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncknaklawns View Post
Yeah I've found out its best to read everything you can and sort out the mess yourself. Online a lot of info. Asking someone is prone to error and they aren't liable or have mal-practice talking insurance if they spew forth wrong data.
Exactly. I am by no means claiming to be some DOT expert and that I know the difference between everything and every law. I just know what I was told between my state and the FMCSA, and just sharing what I know.

20 Years Old
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work
Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncknaklawns View Post
In NY if you have trailer brakes and all duel axels need brakes then you need yealy inspection. All this DOT stuff is by the state even though it is USDOT which gets more involved for Inter-state travel.
Same in MI. All states were SUPPOSED to be uniform when it came to DOT, however each state has taken it upon themselves to regulate their roads when it comes to Intrastate commerce, however it is consistently uniform with Interstate because it needs to be.

20 Years Old
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work
Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Same in MI. All states were SUPPOSED to be uniform when it came to DOT, however each state has taken it upon themselves to regulate their roads when it comes to Intrastate commerce, however it is consistently uniform with Interstate because it needs to be.
As it should be. Fed ain't got any business telling a state how to do things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
As it should be. Fed ain't got any business telling a state how to do things.
Exactly, and luckily the state goes pretty easy on small guys like me just starting out.

20 Years Old
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some of my trailer inspection comments were specifice to the State of Maine,answering Duffster's question "according to who?". It was a typo as well it is 3000lbs (not 5000) here for trailer rating if used w/ commercial registered pick-up and your using it to make money. So people w/ a F-350 and a large dual axel trailer towing personal toys are exempt from inspection. From the ME MV law book M.R.S.A. 29-A section 1753.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Right, you can tow any recreational set up you want with no worries, from trucks and trailers to 30,000lb RV's. The minute you want to make money with a truck and trailer prepare to get through a bunch of red tape
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Some of you are doing way to much interpreting "spelling" others just putting bits and pieces in. So here is the real low down PERIOD. If you have an RV no dot #. Heres where it gets fun none of this is new just hasn't been enforced until last year as strict as it is now, so here we go.... If you are in business which includes most all of us on here and you weigh more than 10,000 or are rated to carry this much by law you must have a DOT number, with that it doesn't matter if you are CDL CMV or just CMV like most of us over 10,000 are you must keep log books ( fun fun) an FMSCA inspection, and keep a copy of the FMSCA manual in all of your DOT number vehicles ($500 fine if caught without it)and so on, this is also starting to apply to hobbyist who haul boats, horses, race cars and so on over 10,000 lbs. So instead of running to the FMSCA website for bits a pieces you should really read the whole thing.
Stihl BR 430 Blowers
Huqsv. Chain Saw
Hurst 6x12 Utility Trailer
Snowdogg MD 68 Plow
Old 03-27-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerlawn View Post
Some of you are doing way to much interpreting "spelling" others just putting bits and pieces in. So here is the real low down PERIOD. If you have an RV no dot #. Heres where it gets fun none of this is new just hasn't been enforced until last year as strict as it is now, so here we go.... If you are in business which includes most all of us on here and you weigh more than 10,000 or are rated to carry this much by law you must have a DOT number, with that it doesn't matter if you are CDL CMV or just CMV like most of us over 10,000 are you must keep log books ( fun fun) an FMSCA inspection, and keep a copy of the FMSCA manual in all of your DOT number vehicles ($500 fine if caught without it)and so on, this is also starting to apply to hobbyist who haul boats, horses, race cars and so on over 10,000 lbs. So instead of running to the FMSCA website for bits a pieces you should really read the whole thing.
You're wrong about log books and manual. That is only necessary when you have an INTERSTATE DOT number. Most LCOs are intrastate. No log books, etc. And the law is new as of 2012. Bottom line is, you want information about DOT, don't go to an Internet forum, call your DMV and the FMCSA, that's where all my information came from.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerlawn View Post
If you have an RV no dot #.
What if it's used in commerce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.