Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Blades every other day. Wash weekly. That's wash with mild car soap/wax with uv protectant and only hose pressure. Grease all zerks. We go through an edger blade a day as well.
Mowers are pretty water resistant. Air inlets are baffled. Wires are weatherpack and greased connections. Bearings ard sealed. Wear points are greased. They are actually setup for regular cleanliness, just not power washing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 03-11-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere says this about 997s "Follow automotive practices to care for your vehicle painted metal surfaces. Use a high-quality automotive wax regularly to maintain the factory look of your vehicle's painted surfaces."

I'm sure many more say the same or similar, I think I have proved my point.[/QUOTE]

I can second this 100% as I have a 997 also. I wash every other week as I do not do near as much as some here because I maintain another full time job. But I blow mine off at the end of every cut before it goes back into the enclosed trailer. I'm OCD and can't stand to have my stuff looking dirty all the time. John Deere appreciates it also if they do maintenance on my equipment for warranty.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I wash mine when I get time but I only mow about 10 yards a week. For you guys that change blades daily and every other day, how many yards are you mowing with them to change them that often? Maybe I don't do mine enough.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrev75 View Post
I wash mine when I get time but I only mow about 10 yards a week. For you guys that change blades daily and every other day, how many yards are you mowing with them to change them that often? Maybe I don't do mine enough.
A lot of that depends on the types of grasses you cut. Southern stiff bladed grasses may require sharpnening more often IDK, but most northern guys try to swap them out, or sharpen them daily for an average 8-10 hours of use. Again, that is just a general statement because we have some tough stalky type weeds and weedy grasses to deal with up here too. Another thing that affects intervals is how sandy or loamy your soil is.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know why people say you cant wash mowers, if you couldnt that would mean that you couldnt get caught in pouring rain. I agree wash your mowers weekly, or when needed. It gives your business a clean look.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Lawn Care, LLC View Post
But I blow mine off at the end of every cut before it goes back into the enclosed trailer. I'm OCD and can't stand to have my stuff looking dirty all the time. John Deere appreciates it also if they do maintenance on my equipment for warranty.
We sound very similar here. My JD dealer always comments on how clean and new looking I keep my machines.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Blades get traded out weekly. When I get down to the last couple sets sharpened I will sharpen the rest. Mower gets "washed" once a year. It gets blown off every week or two. The highway does a pretty good job of blowing off most places.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

washing mowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I will keep saying it over and over it is dumb to wash a machine that is not water proof in many places Blow it off and leave it.
I wash me DC about once a month but I'm careful not to get the plugs and electronics too wet, let it dry over night, and if I'm feeling really energitic,, i even polish the stainless steel lol. clean mower lets your customers know you take care of your equipment, so take care of your equipment like you would their yard.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wash? - whenever we have time. Ends up being like once a month in the busiest parts of the year. Blades we did once a week last year, but we're going to do every other day this year.

Jason
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Wash weekly, sharpen blades daily. Put maybe 6+ hours on mowers a day