Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Advice on first new mower purchase

Hello everyone. We have been shopping for a new zero turn after selling our old used Exmarks. We have somewhat narrowed it down to Exmark, Scag, and Gravely. We have finally been able to do some shopping. Our choices are 2014 Gravely 460 with 35hp kaw. for $11,699, 2014 Scag Cheetah 61" with 31hp kaw. for $10,000, and we found a 2012 demo Exmark lazer z x series 60" with the 34hp kohler for $10,900. The Exmark had 2.5 demo hours on it and the dealer says they need to sell it. Whichever unit we choose, we would be purchasing a 3 bin bagger unit to add on.

Does anyone have experience between these ztrs. What about bagging performance. Bagger mostly will be used during the spring and fall cleanups. The lawns that we cut are not fancy manicured lawns, but mostly pretty rough with crabgrass, clover, dandelions, and the occasional blade of grass.

I am a large guy too. I am 6'5 and about 400 plus. I want to be as comfortable as possible. Any advice other than lose weight would be appreciated. Lol! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure on the gravely your purchase is over $12k after the 20% discount and you will get the fleet pricing on that purchase along with 20% off anything you buy for a year. The 460 is a really nice machine man, the adjustable vacuum baffles on inside of deck make it one of the best performers in cutting out there not to mention the the air compressor seat. With the seat all aired up does it stay off the frame for you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Make sure on the gravely your purchase is over $12k after the 20% discount and you will get the fleet pricing on that purchase along with 20% off anything you buy for a year. The 460 is a really nice machine man, the adjustable vacuum baffles on inside of deck make it one of the best performers in cutting out there not to mention the the air compressor seat. With the seat all aired up does it stay off the frame for you?
Posted via Mobile Device
I've never tried the air seat. I was concerned about the durability with a big guy bouncing around on it. We have a gravely 148 and it's been a good one unless the grass is wet. I'm assuming that the 460 with the triple bagger should be over $12k. Thanks for the input
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Exmark is the better bagger, scag is the most durable and better machine…thats a pretty low price for the cheetah…i usually see them higher than that…maybe scag repriced for 2014 and is trying to push the cheetah more now that they have the 48 and 52" versions?

curious
Old 02-23-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravely had a good wet cut when I demoed it. If that's important for your region then that's a consideration. It had a good cut also and I liked the rubber deflecter for the shoot. The mower just seemed very simple(plain) for the $$10,000.

I owned an exmark and it cut anything but was nothing but trouble and headaches. I could have bought 2 for what I spent in repairs. I'll NEVER own another!!!

I run scags and I love them. Cheetah is great but on the 61 it's kinda hard to see the trim side of the deck because of the gas tank. It has the best deck offered in the industry IMO... Great cut and lines. The only better machines are the turf tigers. They are amazing pieces!!!

Scag baggers are awesome as well. Great design... The bags are deeper than anyone else. 16 bushel per dump.it needs a better tube but that's a cheap fix. Agrifab tube works better.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

choppin has the best input i've read all week
Old 03-06-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey thanks everyone for your input! I have finally made a choice. I am so excited to pick up my new Exmark Lazer z x series 60" tomorrow! I'm getting the 3 bag ultravac system too! Now I'm ready for the grass to grow.