Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ramps

Picking up my 36' walk behind scag in a couple weeks and dont want to haul the enclosed trailer down to get it. The guy said he has ramps to get it into the 8' bed of my f250 and i was wondering if there is any ramps out there that you guys would recommend that i could use to load and unload not only this scag walk behind but also double as a winter ramp for a snow blower. Any SAFE, DURABLE, ACCOMODATING ramps that i could keep with me in the back of my truck ?

Also, what do you guys use to elevate ZTR's in order to get under the deck to clean it and such? I have seen the lifters which raise the front of the ZTR's but with a bagger on the back you can't really get a good enough angle to work under it due to the backside contacting the ground...

Ramps// ZTR elevating problems

Thanks ahead of time guys, i always appreciate vets advice
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ramps

For loading equipment I have 8 foot 2 x 6 that I bolted angle iron to the bottom side. Works perfect for stuff like that.
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know lots of guys use lumber but in my book that's asking for trouble. Spend the extra money and do it right. This is what I use- http://www.discountramps.com/atv_ramps.htm There are a lot of others like them out there too.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

is that atv ramp safe to use with snowblowers in the rainy/snowy/icing winter months?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used a set very similar to the ones in the link. Probably as safe as anything else in icy conditions. I think they are rated for 800# light weight easy to handle, sturdy.

Avoid folding models. Two seperate non folding ramps will be the most usable. I've taken walk behinds up stairs and short retaining walls with them, to areas that had previously only been push mowed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 2 sets of folding aluminum ramps. From discount ramps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the ones I have are rated at 1600 pounds each. They are great in winter because they are not solid, they are made up of serrated cross bars welded to the side pieces. You can see that in the pictures.

One other thing. If you have no way to secure the ramp support lips to the tailgate to keep them from sliding, such as by a hole drilled through the lip and the tailgate so that you can drop a bolt in, then you want to use a ratchet strap from a rung on each ramp to something like the trailer safety chain hooks on the truck. Don't rely on them to stay in place by themselves.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

yea as others have said there aer alot of light weight metal ramps out there. the longer the ramp the less steep, the less resistance, the easier it will be to load. good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What do you do in order to keep them from sliding off the tailgate? Bolt into the tailgate? Never done that before, makes me nervous lol. Also, how do you "backdown" a wb once u walk it up into the back of the truck? what do you walk on ? one side of the ramp?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
What do you do in order to keep them from sliding off the tailgate? Bolt into the tailgate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
One other thing. If you have no way to secure the ramp support lips to the tailgate to keep them from sliding, such as by a hole drilled through the lip and the tailgate so that you can drop a bolt in, then you want to use a ratchet strap from a rung on each ramp to something like the trailer safety chain hooks on the truck. Don't rely on them to stay in place by themselves.
I know with my Ford there is plastic rail cap that goes across the top of tailgate and I wouldn't want to drill it. Besides, unless you drill multiple holes you can't adjust your ramp spacing for different equipment. So I use the ratchet straps. It takes a couple of minutes more but it eliminates problems.

Quote:
...how do you "backdown" a wb once u walk it up into the back of the truck? what do you walk on ? one side of the ramp?
They are wide enough and shouldn't be that far apart that you can walk down on both of them.

Last edited by CL&T; 03-12-2013 at 04:49 PM.