Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If they smell a easy fine they just might. But every time I do a re-cert course I see someone bitching about enforcement then the speaker says yes we need to do more then the guy asks how many enforcements have you done last year. And then comes to usual answer none.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b121774 View Post
I had to fire my 5 year employed foreman back in August 2012 for theft from an account. He was having several personal issues prior to my knowledge of the theft that I had to discipline him for, which made it a little easier to let him go, but he was my main employee.

Several months past and I heard nothing of him. Then back in late December/ early January, I started to mysteriously lose some accounts with no explanation. Comes to find out he started his own company and was maliciously going after my accounts. I immediately sent out letter's/email's to current and past customers telling them why he was terminated from my employ. I never wanted to tell anyone because I didn't want to slander him or let customer's I had placed a thief in their yard. i got several email's back from customer's I had not lost but said that he did approach them by actually coming to their house. He offered a lower rate and told lies why he was fired. It makes me sick!

He posts on facebook gloating, posting pic's of some of the account's he stole and advertising pesticide application's which he is not licensed to apply. I have alerted the ag. dept. but I have no hope in them busting him.

Anyone have any advice on how to handle this? I am absolutely fine in my business, a little hit when he took the accounts but not major. I know karma will bite him in the ass!
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me except he didn't get very far in his business venture

KARMA WILL COME BACK ON YOUR GUY 10 FOLD, AND IT LASTS FOR A VERY LONG TIME

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's your decision, either forget about it and drink a beer or do some and then go .

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
It's your decision, either forget about it and drink a beer

-Michael
Already on it
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You could also go to the customers he has stolen and let them know in person.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by b121774 View Post
He was making $19.50 hr plus cell phone and a $300 month gas allotment.
dang i would work for you if your business was here. average job here pays $10-$15/hr. alot don't even have benefits.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i don't understand the non compete argument. a customer has the right to choose whoever they want to service their property. it doesn't matter if he is an ex employee of whomever. the customer has the final say in who they want to hire..
The customer can hire who they want but if the Guy who signed a non-compete goes to one of your clients you can sue him if he services the property. The customer will still need to hire someone else to cut the lawn and sue the low life also. So the lowlife will spend twice as much time in court as you.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every state has a law to prevent this . I just went through it last year . One of my ex employees was going around knocking on customers doors trying to steal accounts. If he has you customer list it is considered theft of company property. Needless to say I got a lawyer and he had to deist and deist. It called unfair trade practices and there are law against it.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopperslawn View Post
... he had to deist and deist. It called unfair trade practices and there are law against it.
Just for the record, that would be cease and desist. Deist is one who believes in deism, God exists from natural revelation. I'm doubting that is what you have in mind here.

If the services are typical grass cutting for residential properties, at $30, $40, $50 per week, I am doubting that any customer would want to be any part of a suit against anybody, including the ex-. Why would they want to get entangled in legal issues for so little money, when they can just move on to the next LCO for their grass cutting services. If the issue revolves around a major install or construction work, then it may be a different matter.

The OP never responded back after March about what happened. Was their a closure?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Since a few of you didn't read the post correctly he never said the ex employee slandered him or his business.

He stated that he did not tell his customers about the thefts because he did not want to slander the employee.

So suggesting to sue for damages is useless since you didn't read the post right.