Register free!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Scott's Fertilizer...? Water Smart...? A few of my clients think it's the BOMB...?

Your thoughts on the product?

Fast release...?

Every client I have that uses it has a substantial thatch layer.

And....how do you talk clients out.of this product in favor of professional products.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Living thatch is caused by too much water soluable fertilizer at the surface of the turf, encouraging roots to grow above the turf, soaking up the food and water above ground... grass clipping thatch is just too rapid of growth without the time requisite for decomposition...

In order to correctly articulate your concerns, you'll need to determine which type of thatch you're dealing with and THEN try to explain to the client why or how this Scotts fert is causing the problem...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"Water smart"? The word "smart" ain't in the Scotts' vocabulary (just a sales gimmick). I would trust TruGreen over 'Scotts Lawn Care' anyday of the week. Cuz Scotts Lawn Care is all about profit/gimmics/rippin' off consumers, and they certainly do not care about land grant university results.

70% of our Country experienced drought in 2012, and much of the N was never utilized due to this drought.

Different types of thatch??? What is that? Thatch is thatch. Doesn't matter what "type"?

Soil type is much more important, yet previous posts do not address this? Why?

Now I'm seeing the Scott's commercials on TV. Same O same O. Miracle Grow is = the best. Then Scotts tries to sell GrubEx (for season-long control). Yet 4 months from now -- they will be trying to sell "the same thing"....GrubEx for season-long control. So what is "season long control"? Gotta buy it twice?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
... Different types of thatch??? What is that? Thatch is thatch. Doesn't matter what "type"?

Soil type is much more important, yet previous posts do not address this? Why? ...
The thatch commonly referred to as thatch, is just the build up of lawn debris such as grass clipping that are cut too long and don't rot as as quickly as we would like,,, but that is not the thatch being discussed when the technical definition of the word thatch is brought up...

Soil Texture and Soil Structure are the top 2 considerations when addressing turf,,, and I agree 100% that it should most certainly be addressed,,, but when you do the attack dogs come out of the woodwork and call you names for being too stupid to make comments about Soil Structure written in articles...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My service area is epidemic with thick thatch layers, daily watering, watering twice a day. Evening watering ...you name it.

So is it safe.to.assume Scott's turf builder is a fast release product?

Again....the toughest clients to educate on this are the 65 and older crowd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have to look at the label to know for sure,,, becuz it is NOT SAFE to assume anything...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Funny thing is when I have read the Scott's bag....it almost sounded like and admission of causing a desireable thatch layer due to fast release fet. The thatch layer will hold some moisture.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

uhhh

QUOTE=Smallaxe;4703743]The thatch commonly referred to as thatch, is just the build up of lawn debris such as grass clipping that are cut too long and don't rot as as quickly as we would like,,, but that is not the thatch being discussed when the technical definition of the word thatch is brought up...

but when you do the attack dogs come out of the woodwork and call you names for being too stupid to make comments about Soil Structure written in articles... [/QUOTE]

1) why are you callin' me stupid?
2) that is "not the thatch being discussed"????
3) "technical definition"???
4) I "attack dogs?"

The worst thatch lawns in our market came from Minnesota peat sod back in the 80's. http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/peat

oops

You will also never see ME call anybody "names".

So now >>> who's "TOO STUPID" ??
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Fight!!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
The thatch commonly referred to as thatch, is just the build up of lawn debris such as grass clipping that are cut too long and don't rot as as quickly as we would like,,, but that is not the thatch being discussed when the technical definition of the word thatch is brought up...

but when you do the attack dogs come out of the woodwork and call you names for being too stupid to make comments about Soil Structure written in articles...

1) why are you callin' me stupid?
2) that is "not the thatch being discussed"????
3) "technical definition"???
4) I "attack dogs?"

The worst thatch lawns in our market came from Minnesota peat sod back in the 80's. http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/peat

oops

You will also never see ME call anybody "names".

So now >>> who's "TOO STUPID" ??
I didn't call you studpid... I was talking to you about attack dogs who always call someone else stupid... if you think I called you stupid I apologize for my poor communications... I honestly was in agreement with you in your comment about soils...

apology accepted??? friends???

Last edited by Smallaxe; 03-13-2013 at 12:31 PM.