Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLLandscaping View Post
I knew it looked familiar, hopefully I will get mine this season. Id love to see the pictures of it if you do the box on it, I was going to put my box on the front, but the back might be easier to unload using the wider tailgate... I forgot about the side gate to load mowers so thats a good idea! Good luck this season!
Yeah it's a real nice trailer. I decided to trade being able to have a front basket for the side gate. I'm going to weld up a front gas can rack and I have a Xtreme series trimmer rack in the mail. I want to upgrade to a straight shaft trimmer as well, preferably a Stihl or Echo, had great experiences with both brands, and a by fall a new Backpack. The trailer has enough stake pockets, I think I'm gonna build two removable sides a little taller that the gate, then build a third side that slides between those, then mount a tarp to the top.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak Lawn View Post
Yeah it's a real nice trailer. I decided to trade being able to have a front basket for the side gate. I'm going to weld up a front gas can rack and I have a Xtreme series trimmer rack in the mail. I want to upgrade to a straight shaft trimmer as well, preferably a Stihl or Echo, had great experiences with both brands, and a by fall a new Backpack. The trailer has enough stake pockets, I think I'm gonna build two removable sides a little taller that the gate, then build a third side that slides between those, then mount a tarp to the top.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds basically like my plan, but without needing a new trimmer, I need a bigger mower and trailer (as long as everything goes as planned). You could always get the basket that goes on the front of the trailer and put it on the side without the gate, it might need a little modification but I bet it will work, then mount a trimmer rack on the front of the trailer.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLLandscaping View Post
Sounds basically like my plan, but without needing a new trimmer, I need a bigger mower and trailer (as long as everything goes as planned). You could always get the basket that goes on the front of the trailer and put it on the side without the gate, it might need a little modification but I bet it will work, then mount a trimmer rack on the front of the trailer.
Yeah the trimmer is more of a want than a need right now, which I have learned do not let any wants get in the way of what you actually NEED. I had thought about a side basket, but it would take up too much space than is worth. A little 4 x 2 gas can holder on the tongue will do fine for me. All my equipment I have gotten used from the guy I worked for. It's all about 6 years old but they run like a champ. I want to get a bigger walk behind or a zero turn to handle some bigger yards. Right now accounts are my biggest focus before I go looking at more equipment haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Exactly, I have one Echo trimmer now thats almost brand new, I COULD use a second one once I add a few accounts, but a backpack blower is higher up on the board of what I NEED. The trailer and mower will come soon hopefully, the trailer I do want, and I will be able to expand using it, and then make fall cleanups easier. Those will be my biggest money maker, so I will take the risk on a trailer.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer is the best investment you can make. It will pay for itself in one week of service. I can't wait to use it, and I know it will make me look more professional to current and potential customers. Cleanups are huge here, more so in fall then spring, but great money makers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak Lawn View Post
Trailer is the best investment you can make. It will pay for itself in one week of service. I can't wait to use it, and I know it will make me look more professional to current and potential customers. Cleanups are huge here, more so in fall then spring, but great money makers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats the same here, fall cleanups can clear a company $10K not even with their normal customers. Being in school full time I gotta make sure my fall classes I am in and out quick! haha.

This is what being in college is like when I just want to work:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That was my problem. Working 40+ hours then doing lawn care, all I wanted to do was work. After a hard, very hard decision, I decided to just focus on working and investing it into my business. Both or my parents are entrepreneurs, it's just in my blood haha. So far it is working, and I'm proud of what I've gotten so far. This year will really be the first big step towards building myself a reputable company.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I wish I could get outta school, but Im in school for construction management so on the parts about materials, estimating, figuring costs, etc it will come in handy for this. Plus then I can also get into doing hardscapes and much bigger landscape jobs and have all the proper licenses to have sub-contractors do work for me etc. Could even build decks and pool houses as part of the landscape haha.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is definitely an asset. To me it was a "pick your poison" deal. Start full throttle on my company, or ease back with school, and I chose the first option. I would like to get it to where I can only do landscaping then go part time to get some schooling to get a landscape architect license. There isn't too many license laws here when it comes to paving, however a licenses are required for structural features. To me it is all going to depend on where my business goes. I guess school is not for everyone, but I will make sure I do everything in my part to get my business where I want it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finally found some photos from some jobs last year

First is a small flower bed. They had just moved and had all the brick already, so I did the rest for them. Flowers, mulch, the works.

Before

After