Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 AM
SchannaultROLC's Avatar
SchannaultROLC SchannaultROLC is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I've got the same problem with my trailer. The side gate is too close to the front to mount a basket. Sometimes wished I didn't have the side gate as it seems to be in the way more than its used.
Yeah right now it's pointless for me, but I know once I have a ZTR on the back the front ramp will get used a lot. For right now my truck bed works for gas cans and hand tools. It's actually pretty organized, however it'd be nice to be able to just leave everything on my trailer
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Leland Lawn Leland Lawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pullman, Washington
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Thanks man. Yeah things are slowly picking up. Don't think I got the last cleanup/maint I bid, and I bid a large cleanup and was supposed to sign but then the customer got hit with a tax problem so I lost out on that. So win some and lose some. We just had a cold front role through so hopefully ill be cutting around the first week of May.

I would really like a basket on my front, the only problem is I don't know how I'd go about mounting it. I literally have 5" between the front ramp and the front rail. So I'm not sure how id do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ahh that's too bad! Things will pick up soon enough I'm sure! Yeah it's kind of strange how long spring it taking to come along. Yep you're right about that. Keep that mindset with bidding! People get discouraged fast from the amount of bids that don't actually turn into work. For us I'd say that if we get half the jobs we bid, that's amazing.

Hmmm What about going on the other way with the basket? Like how the one is on my tandem trailer. (idk if you have seen the pics before) It's mounted over the front of the tongue, which is a great use of space but can sometimes be in the way as well. This picture is on my other thread, but idk if you can tell that the basket is mounted different from the one that I just built for my new trailer. I can always take a picture of it for you on Monday if you'd like to see how it is on there. This was probably the best one that I have on my computer right now though.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Toro 52" Z Master G3 (1)
Toro 36" Walk-behind (2)
Toro 21" Proline (4)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Hustler 42" Mini Z w/bagger (sold)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 PM
SchannaultROLC's Avatar
SchannaultROLC SchannaultROLC is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Lawn View Post
Ahh that's too bad! Things will pick up soon enough I'm sure! Yeah it's kind of strange how long spring it taking to come along. Yep you're right about that. Keep that mindset with bidding! People get discouraged fast from the amount of bids that don't actually turn into work. For us I'd say that if we get half the jobs we bid, that's amazing.

Hmmm What about going on the other way with the basket? Like how the one is on my tandem trailer. (idk if you have seen the pics before) It's mounted over the front of the tongue, which is a great use of space but can sometimes be in the way as well. This picture is on my other thread, but idk if you can tell that the basket is mounted different from the one that I just built for my new trailer. I can always take a picture of it for you on Monday if you'd like to see how it is on there. This was probably the best one that I have on my computer right now though.
Yeah that is a great return on bids. My problem is price shoppers. Just take 5 bids and go with the lowest price, and they don't care if you pull up in a nice clean truck or a rusty mid 80s Honda if it means they'll do I for less. So I'm just trying to get my jobs based on my work quality, not just cause I had a better price than Joe Mows haha

And I've seen that picture but didn't pay attention to the basket. I see what you did there though and that's a great idea. If you could post another pic close up I'd greatly appreciate it. What would you say the biggest downfall of having it over the tongue would be?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 AM
Leland Lawn Leland Lawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pullman, Washington
Posts: 166
Exactly!! And you're totally right. Especially when you aren't really known in your town or area. Because a good word from a friend or neighbor can easily change someones mind to go with a familiar person even if they charge more for a service. You really can't blame people for price shopping though... I do it with a lot of things! Although when it comes to it, I would gladly pay more for better customer service and someone who will know my name, what I like, etc.

Yeah I can take one on Monday for you! I'll post it in the evening when I have the chance. Hmm... The biggest downfall is that the basket can touch the truck bed when turning really sharp. I haven't ever jackknifed a trailer, but I have dents on both sides of my bed from the basket coming in contact with the truck. One side was my doing, and the other side a guy who took my place for a day. (it's not that big dent in the side of the bed in the picture. That's another story!) This is actually a design fault though. I bought the trailer with the basket on it, so it was at the height that it's at. If the basket was about 3" higher up, it wouldn't touch my bed. Same would go, if my bed was shorter in height. haha. If I would have built it, I would have put it up higher... but then it would have been hard to reach from the ground. So there has got to be some happy medium there. Especially if you're going to be doing a basket as a add on to a trailer.

On my new trailer I put the basket over the deck so that the bed couldn't hit it, and I made it lower. I think only 28" off the deck. Which was enough space for the front of any of my pieces of equipment to fit under. You'd really want to think it though and see what fits your needs best! Adding a toolbox to the tongue of a trailer. Also a good idea, and it requires far less thinking since they can be bought already made!
__________________
Toro 52" Z Master G3 (1)
Toro 36" Walk-behind (2)
Toro 21" Proline (4)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Hustler 42" Mini Z w/bagger (sold)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-06-2013, 07:07 AM
SchannaultROLC's Avatar
SchannaultROLC SchannaultROLC is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 486
Definitely. My word of mouth customers are 10 times better than any advertise customer I get. And I certainly don't blame them for wanting to get the most bang for their buck. The downfall is that they get in the mindset of price and their loyalty to a LCO is usually nonexistent.

Touching the truck was what I was worried about. I think If I went high enough it would be fine. I wish I could put it over the deck but the ramp makes that impossible, so I'll have to look into a raised one. I know a guy that runs a tool and die shop, I'm gonna have him give me a quote for building a basket. And, if all fails, I'm just gonna get a tool box! haha Thanks for the help!
__________________
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Leland Lawn Leland Lawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pullman, Washington
Posts: 166
Yeah man, I know what you mean.

That would probably be really high up there! You may want to do some measuring with a tape and see what kind of dimensions you can work with. I'd say it all depends on the height of your bed. I know that my basket would have perfect clearance if I had a flatbed... but I don't. haha
Here are those close up pics for you.
Attached Images
   
__________________
Toro 52" Z Master G3 (1)
Toro 36" Walk-behind (2)
Toro 21" Proline (4)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Hustler 42" Mini Z w/bagger (sold)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Kennedy Landscaping's Avatar
Kennedy Landscaping Kennedy Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: El Dorado Kansas
Posts: 5,607
Everything is looking good, we've all started somewhere. I like your f150 as well
__________________
Kennedy Landscaping


1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 PM
SchannaultROLC's Avatar
SchannaultROLC SchannaultROLC is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Lawn View Post
Yeah man, I know what you mean.

That would probably be really high up there! You may want to do some measuring with a tape and see what kind of dimensions you can work with. I'd say it all depends on the height of your bed. I know that my basket would have perfect clearance if I had a flatbed... but I don't. haha
Here are those close up pics for you.
Yeah it definitely would be lol. I'm thinking of doing something like that but turned around so it is over the inside of the trailer. It would block about a foot of the ramp but I can only fit my smaller mowers up it anyways, so I'd still be able to get my walk behind up it and fit the fronts of the mowers under it. Idk, I'm gonna have to measure to see what can work haha. Thanks for the pictures too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 PM
SchannaultROLC's Avatar
SchannaultROLC SchannaultROLC is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy Landscaping View Post
Everything is looking good, we've all started somewhere. I like your f150 as well
Thanks man! Yeah it's my pride and joy haha. I love your F250. I almost bought one just like it, besides being a 460, but I used the money on a down payment instead. Definitely hope I can get a 7.3 to plow with by the end of next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Leland Lawn Leland Lawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pullman, Washington
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Yeah it definitely would be lol. I'm thinking of doing something like that but turned around so it is over the inside of the trailer. It would block about a foot of the ramp but I can only fit my smaller mowers up it anyways, so I'd still be able to get my walk behind up it and fit the fronts of the mowers under it. Idk, I'm gonna have to measure to see what can work haha. Thanks for the pictures too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh nice! that would be really sweet. Who is going to be building it for you? Make sure that the basket is wide enough for things you may have in the future. Such as backpack blowers and large gas cans. Your welcome!
__________________
Toro 52" Z Master G3 (1)
Toro 36" Walk-behind (2)
Toro 21" Proline (4)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Hustler 42" Mini Z w/bagger (sold)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.08336 seconds with 8 queries