Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Shindaiwa T242

I have 3 trimmers and every year they seem to lose power as the year progresses and I take them to get serviced then are back at it by the end of the year.
I run generic mix from the auto parts store and have upgraded to premium gas without guards. I am thinking about adding Edgeit Pro's to them this year.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this and save me money from getting serviced every year?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the exhaust ports are gradually stopping up with carbon. Do you know what service is being done when you take them in? If your'e not already, remove the muffler mid season and see if the port is partially plugged.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Green Landscaping View Post
I run generic mix from the auto parts store and have upgraded to premium gas without guards.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this and save me money from getting serviced every year?
Posted via Mobile Device
Why do you "save" the money by buying generic mix (which probably doesn't meet the required FD rating) and then spend a lot of extra money on premium gas AND run without guards, thereby increasing the resistance and load over what the engine was optimally designed to run?

Run a proper FD rated oil, ("Yamabiko" Red Armor if you have your units all carboned up already) 89 octane and leave the guards on or figure out some other way to keep the line from running out longer than the design spec of the unit.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

"Hey doctor, I have this problem where when I bang my head against the wall it hurts, what can I do to keep my head from hurting?"

"STOP BANGING YOUR HEAD AGAINST THE WALL!"
Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like said above, carbon is probably causing it. On one of my t242s, the cat in the muffler was shot. Full of carbon I suppose. Screw that crap. I grabbed a brand new t230 muffler I had in a box and threw it on the t242. Problem solved. These new mufflers are junk. Use high grade oil, amsoil, opti-2, etc...

I also recently found this stuff called blasters lawn mower tune up. I think it is like seafoam. I think it really helps getting rid of the carbon. Run it in the gas, or carb, or spray some downt the spark plug hole and let sit for 15 minutes. Then dump it out and fire it up. It will spew spoke for a few minutes but it should help combat carbon. Probably not a good idea with a cat in the muffler though...
Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, run the higher RPMs, like implied above, that you run you equipment at the better. Ever have a backpack blower have these symptoms? Probably not because you run them at full power most of the time. You need to run a 2 cycle hard to keep the carbon in check.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=ddixon7;4704236]Like said above, carbon is probably causing it. On one of my t242s, the cat in the muffler was shot. Full of carbon I suppose. Screw that crap. I grabbed a brand new t230 muffler I had in a box and threw it on the t242. Problem solved. These new mufflers are junk. Use high grade oil, amsoil, opti-2, etc...

I also recently found this stuff called blasters lawn mower tune up. I think it is like seafoam. I think it really helps getting rid of the carbon. Run it in the gas, or carb, or spray some downt the spark plug hole and let sit for 15 minutes. Then dump it out and fire it up. It will spew spoke for a few minutes but it should help combat carbon. Probably not a good idea with a cat in the muffler though...[/QUOTE]

To jump off subject for a minute, I've used the LMT by Blasters for several years now--love it in my repair business. Our Lowes quit selling it, last time I was in Tractor Supply, it was on clearance--I'm going to be bummed if it's no longer available. Have been told it's the same as Seafoam spray--but a lot cheaper!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I actually just ordered 3 cans of it online. You can still get it online and I am pretty sure they are still making it. I am in love with this stuff. It is better than seafoam in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
I'm going to be bummed if it's no longer available. Have been told it's the same as Seafoam spray--but a lot cheaper!
http://www.blastercorporation.com/Wh...r_Tune-Up.html

If you tell them you have a legitimate repair business with a tax number for resale, you may be able to buy it by the case at a good price and resell it at your point of sale also..