Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Trailer brand question

Anyone familiar with Parker Performance trailers. I'm looking at a 77x12 single with angle rails, rack for spare, and a spare tire for 1450+ tax. It looks pretty good. The gate is attached with two heavy bolts on sides and a "wedge" welded into center for the center of the open gate to rest on. Never seen a gate this way before. They do it so the gate can swing inside the trailer and lay on the bed if you want to carry long stuff like lumber.
All in all it looks decent for the money. There is not a PJ within 400 miles of me (in stock).

The Big Tex trailers did not appeal to me. Carry on is available for a similar price, but did not look as well built.

Anyone ever had one of these? They go by Parker Performance.
http://www.performancetrailer.com/trSA2995.htm
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Never heard of 'em.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I drove out and looked at a PJ - it was a pretty good drive, but worth the effort. Too many nice features and the build was too good to pass on. Not the cheapest by any stretch. I bought it yesterday and loaded it with mulch today. It handled the load and pulled a lot better than my old trailer. I'll do a review on another thread when I get time.
I got the u712 with 2' sides and a spare mount on the side (frame welded).

TNJ Trailers in South Carolina. I'd recommend them. Good folks, easy to deal with. I like it when I leave a place and feel like I got a good deal.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My .02, PJ Trailers are made by the same manuf. that makes Carry-On and RC Trailers (campers). They are sister companies, look it up. Carry-On is a great trailer especially for the price. I have a Carry-On 6x12 single with the side ramp, and have nothing but good things to say about it. I'd highly recommend them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
My .02, PJ Trailers are made by the same manuf. that makes Carry-On and RC Trailers (campers). They are sister companies, look it up. Carry-On is a great trailer especially for the price. I have a Carry-On 6x12 single with the side ramp, and have nothing but good things to say about it. I'd highly recommend them.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree - the Carry on are nice. I could not find one with the mesh sides anyhwere near me, but the price on the ones I did find were reasonable. Someone told me that Load Trail was a relative of the PJ trailer family or something like that. I like the PJ pretty good.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytalbot View Post
I agree - the Carry on are nice. I could not find one with the mesh sides anyhwere near me, but the price on the ones I did find were reasonable. Someone told me that Load Trail was a relative of the PJ trailer family or something like that. I like the PJ pretty good.
Not sure about Load Trail, however PJ makes awesome trailers, I'm sure you'll get years of service out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Big Tex single axle 14ft and the welds on the circle tubing kept cracking on the side rails. I now have a Carry On double axle 14ft and it is very well built.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sister companies or not, Carry-On trailers are no where near PJ Trailers in regards to build or quality. I have owned both. There is zero comparison. This is not to bash Carry-On. Just stating the facts so no one were to consider otherwise.

Rootytalbot, good purchase! You'll be glad you paid the extra.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have a 20' PJ and it is a great trailer.,, Do have a 14" tadem Tex and no complaints. Haven't had any weld issues, so maybe mine was made on a Wednesday and not Tuesday after a 3 day weekend.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoxtrot9 View Post
Sister companies or not, Carry-On trailers are no where near PJ Trailers in regards to build or quality. I have owned both. There is zero comparison. This is not to bash Carry-On. Just stating the facts so no one were to consider otherwise.
I disagree there. There is a big difference in quality of the mass produced Carry-On from Lowes or Tractor Supply, and a Carry-On built for a trailer only dealer. Much more care in the detail of the build aspect. My Carry-On is from Lowes, and suits me fine and its quality is fair, but compared to the larger trailers Carry-On makes, it's not up to par. PJ trailers are great, but honestly no difference in quality with the larger trailers. I've seen both being used commercially, and they both are great trailers. It's like trying to compare Ford and Lincoln, same exact thing, one might just have more bells and whistles haha
Posted via Mobile Device