Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

upgrade 48" exmark to walker

Hey guys,

Im trying to decided if i should trade my 48" exmark up to a bigger mower
(56" walker mb) of if i should just keep my 48. My 48" exmark has 740 hours on it and needles to say is kinda in ruff shape. It needs attention to the hydros and it dosnt seem to cut as nice as it did when i got it " need to double cut everything with it because it leaves stringers". Also its to big to go though any of my gates and not really big enough for my other accounts. So the question is do i put $1000 into it and keep it, or do i trade it in on a new walker with 56" deck? Im really torn becuase i will also be needing a new trailer this year.....
thanks in advance
Alex
2013 7x20 sur-track open trailer
2010 exmark lazer "x" series 60" 34hp
2011 exmark lazer "x" series 60" 29hp
2013 exmark lazer "s" series 60" 27hp
2013 exmark turf tracer "s" series 52" 20hp
2011 wright stander RH 52" 19hp
1013 exmark commerical 30" wb
honda push mower
(4) weed wips shindiawa,redmax,echo
(2) stick edgers shindiawa,redmax
(3)redmax 7001
sthil br 340
pluger aerator

230 lawns
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Walkers are great the down side high priced. Just saw one at dealer for 20k
And sell man tells me that's not the most expensive. Too many gadgets
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Upgrade to the Walker MB with a 23efi. You won't regret it. We have used Walkers since the 80's and the new MB has blown us away. Very nimble, holds hills well, and the cut quality is incredible even with the mulching deck. Walker is realy on to something with the MB and MBS. We have a couple of each and hope to purchase more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

20k???? Where are you shopping? We paid 20k last year for 2 units. One a MBK 18 and the other a MBSY diesel. This year we bought MBK 23EFI for just under 8k. I agree they are $$$$$ but I think someone is trying rip you off joesimoes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
20k???? Where are you shopping? We paid 20k last year for 2 units. One a MBK 18 and the other a MBSY diesel. This year we bought MBK 23EFI for just under 8k. I agree they are $$$$$ but I think someone is trying rip you off joesimoes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey joe mower have you priced the GHS MTD with high lift dump power lift deck
Lock steer harden gear cases grammer seat. If you can get it blow 20k let me know joe...".

We started to buy walkers in 87.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
Hey joe mower have you priced the GHS MTD with high lift dump power lift deck
Lock steer harden gear cases grammer seat. If you can get it blow 20k let me know joe...".

We started to buy walkers in 87.
Wow you got me there joesimoes. No I have not priced one of them. The last GHS model that I bought was the MTL 31 EFI and it was still in the 12K range. Though that had been a few years ago I still felt that price to be high. I also felt that particular machine was a bit overkill and ended up selling it. Though having 31 hp was nice it wasn't needed and the liquid cooling just added weight and had leaking issues. We're sticking with the 26 efi's. But back to my point... I think you are right by saying too many gadgets. None of those high dollar options make the mower cut better. The high lift dump may help your production a bit but still not worth the extra 3K or what ever they go for today. That's the beauty of the new MB and MBS. They are much more reasonably priced, are very productive, and have allowed us to get away from bagging. WIN, win, win. That's what we're in business for is to make money. I don't blame you for wanting a diesel but for us the extra cost and weight isn't justified. Employees will tend to tear a machine up in 5 years or so that renders the longevity of a diesel pointless. For a single operator that will keep it 10 years and beyond that's a nice feature. I think I would prefer to get out of the business before I'd pay 20K for single a 48" bagging mowing machine. I just couldn't recoup that kind of money. Now if I were retired and the money wasn't an issue I would want all the gadgets too. I think all men may have a little "Tim Allen" in us.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the input guys, im going to are local greens industry trade show next week and planning on talking to my walker rep. I owned a walker in 2008 and loved it untill i had a minior problem... i took it to the dealer and they had it for 3 weeks kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. After visiting the walker mower factory last week and getting a tour and talking to the great people at walker i really want another one. Start trading those red mowers to yellow
2013 7x20 sur-track open trailer
2010 exmark lazer "x" series 60" 34hp
2011 exmark lazer "x" series 60" 29hp
2013 exmark lazer "s" series 60" 27hp
2013 exmark turf tracer "s" series 52" 20hp
2011 wright stander RH 52" 19hp
1013 exmark commerical 30" wb
honda push mower
(4) weed wips shindiawa,redmax,echo
(2) stick edgers shindiawa,redmax
(3)redmax 7001
sthil br 340
pluger aerator

230 lawns
Old 02-23-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

when I priced walkers last season at the one dealer I have for them they were all in the 12k range but I have no idea what options they had on them.

personally you won't find me owning a walker. way to expensive for what you get. the only thing a walker can do better than my 52" toro grandstand is bag grass and leaves. I get the grandstand for between 6k-7k.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
when I priced walkers last season at the one dealer I have for them they were all in the 12k range but I have no idea what options they had on them.

personally you won't find me owning a walker. way to expensive for what you get. the only thing a walker can do better than my 52" toro grandstand is bag grass and leaves. I get the grandstand for between 6k-7k.
yardguy- nice input I also like the Toro GS. That is the other machines that we use. Before I got into the MB and MBS I was trying to get away from the GHS Walkers (mainly for $$$ and dealer issues along with a need to get away from bagging) The GS did a outstanding job and honestly the most comfortable machine that I had ever used in my 27 years of mowing. Then Walker came out with a 52" rear discharge/mulching deck for my Super B and I gave it a try. It was all over after that. That deck handled all types of turf better and faster than any other machine that I had used. I was not only impressed, we were more productive so we started working our way back into using Walkers. Their MBS and MB equipped with mulching decks have really changed our game. The client were excited to see us using the yellow machines again too. I still love my Toro GS's,especially my 60", but the MB and MBS give us better productivity and better results. The Toro GS's are still the most comfortable though!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I demoed a MBK18 last year with the 48" mulching deck and was really impressed! The mower was fast, light, easy to use and looked easy to service! Not to mention the price wasn't bad at all. I think just over 6k is what it was at the time. If I was to get an MBK though I would get it with the 23EFI. Lots of power for all sorts of deck sizes. Ultimately I would have wanted the 48" mulch deck as well as a 56" SD deck! Maybe this coming or the next year!
I was thinking more along the lines of bagging, so I actually ended up buying an '08 MT 26 EFI with a 48" GHS deck and 850 hours on it. Amazing mower! Bags like nothing else. Not to mention it's not overly heavy or hard to maneuver or operate. It needed some TLC at first, but now that I've gone through everything I'm sure it will do another 500 hours of service without any issues. The EFI motor is great on fuel. I probably averaged out at about 0.5-0.6 gph with moderate use!
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows