Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I also agree you don't need to partner or a fulltime helper. Like others have said there is something that is not right for that amount of man hours for that much pay. That is what you need to work on first. My first year I grossed 23k part time and only worked a handful of Saturdays. While putting in at least 40 for the man. Get on lawnsite every chance you get that is what helps me want to grow. Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

A partnership is a lot like a marriage, and those only end in death or divorce. That does not always mean you shouldn’t do it or that you won’t have many good years. Just know going in that you will have pain.

If you are set on forming a partnership, do a joint venture for the first year. That way if things go bad you can walk away.

If you are still set on forming a partnership, make sure one of you owns at least 60% of the company and that you have a buy/sell agreement in place the day your partnership starts.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I have to disagree with everyone above. I'm currently partnered up with one my best friends (bad idea for business i know). Going on our third year together working, 2nd year as partners, so yes I'm a newbie at it. But here's how things work with us. I'm a marketing major and a numbers person. My partner is a hands on, horticulture expert, that can do everything to perfection. He started our company about 5 years ago. I started working for him as a part time job while I was in college. 6 months after graduation I still couldn't find a job, my business partner came to me and offered me half the company to come work for him. He was in the same position you are. 30 accounts and couldn't handle running the business and doing the work too. In our first year of partnership we increased our sales by 250% and opened a landscape division.

Yes he has to split the profits, but at the same time there's now 2 of us that can handle any client problem and if one of us can't take care of a problem, the other one can. When we entered into our legal agreement, we clearly defined what each persons responsibilities and expectations would be. When talking about business, both of us put our friendship aside and talk about whats best for the business. We don't take anything personal and speak whatever is bothering us. Between both of us, we've been able to take over the roles and handle anything the other one can't. Hell we even live together while his house is being built. Most people think its nuts, but you just have to find someone whose personality and drive fits your own.

Personally I think if you trust the person enough to offer them 50 percent of your company and feel like they're someone you can be with 14 hours+ a day I say go for it. It can only help your business. Make sure you take all the proper steps before hand before you just hand over your company though. Our clients refer to our partnership as a ying and yang relationship and thats the only way its going to work.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/220028

Read this and as many books/articles as you can before you determine if partnership is right for you.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah thank you so much for the info guys, without this site id be no where. Im on the fence big time about this decision. Maybe ill give it one more year on my own and see what happens.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have to agree with a few of the others that your net numbers need to be stronger solo.

Let's say if you hired an administrative assistant who has a mindset for the business to do most of the paper work. Help with brainstorming, marketing and then maybe do some of the actual work.

Okay...scratch that just find yourself a significant other for that. Just a thought.

That hasn't worked for me but it has for others.

By chance are you motivation dips caused by "why am I doing this" or "what my long term goals"...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Didn't read all the replies, but you are a fool to consider taking on a partner. If you cannot market, I would kindly suggest getting a job and working for someone else. You really can't make a great living as a business owner if you can't market your services. Get a job and mow on the side, or take the time to learn about people, marketing, sales, etc and commit to being a business owner. You work in an industry that is too competitive to not be able to market your services. I hope you take time to consider what everyone else has said!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

The honeymoon is great. The divorce is he!!.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay, SOOOO its been like a week since i was strongly considering partnering up and i have decided to......................STAY SOLO! A lot of it was that i felt like having somone to brainstorm with and motivate eachother would be huge. But i get tons of motivation from sites like these and looking at pictures and brainstorming of where i could be in 5 years. SOLO is a must and i like being solo! ALso a few people on here told me to find people in the industry to talk too. I was playing pool last night and my buddies buddy showed up and guess what he did????? He was a third year landscaper! We talked for an hour and exchanged numbers, felt like i was almost picking up a chick haha. Anyway i took this as a sign and am defenitly excited to have somone to bullshit with and talk about the day to day operation. Thanks so much guys!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good choice.
Posted via Mobile Device