Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Website Design Cost?

I'm about to have a website designed by some professionals (Web Hosting Hub), and they want $984. They can put me on a payment plan for $82/mo and then after that I will own it. Is this a good deal? What did you guys pay for yours?

Here are some examples of sites they have done.

http://www.mileslandscaping.com/

http://greystonecustomhomebuilders.com/

http://ptilandscape.com/
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The three sites you listed are consistently inconsistent in their on-page SEO and coding, which makes me wonder how much they leave up to the site owner to do themselves. The third site has content found elsewhere. The second site looks like a generic theme, which it actually seems to be. That one is a more of a warning sign than anything else. If they leave much of the work up to you, you can do it yourself for a fraction of the quoted price.

Since they tag every page with their links, Google "Design by InMotion Hosting" for more of their work.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 2010 Macbook that came with an app called iWeb, and has allowed me to build my fathers website, its not the best but it works. www.BarnsideBuilding.com

I would be using that again to build my own website, then I only need to pay for hosting, if you have a Mac I think you can still get iWeb on the app store, although it does not come with the new laptops
Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is FREE at wix. They have tons of templates you can customize any way you want. Depending on what you do (domain names etc.) there may be relatively small maintenance or hosting fees. Very easy to do even if you are not a tech person.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If this doesn't get moved, you may want to post on the website sub forum.

Tony, and some of the other guys there, can help you make a wise decision. It sounds like these guys probably are not worth the money. Some of the suggestions that have come after are even worse...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
I'm about to have a website designed by some professionals (Web Hosting Hub), and they want $984. They can put me on a payment plan for $82/mo and then after that I will own it. Is this a good deal? What did you guys pay for yours?

Here are some examples of sites they have done.

http://www.mileslandscaping.com/

http://greystonecustomhomebuilders.com/

http://ptilandscape.com/
Go local, at first I was going to go the route your going and get it made by a hosting company, but whenI went to a local shop around me (which did my truck lettering) they said they would charge 599 (maybe 499) for a 7 page website and 4 dollars a month for hosting.

They were a lot cheaper on logo design to. I went with logomojo.com to do my logo and they charged me 200 (which i love my logo) but this place would charge 50 an hour and they estimate a logo to take about an hour.

So check with some local shops first. google logo design, truck graphics (maybe), fast signs, signarama, and sir speedy are larger companies that might do web design around you.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

No offense to the recommendation above, but if you search this forum for Wix, you'll see why they're at the bottom of the list.

As a heads up, there are several threads on this topic, so a quick stroll through the last few pages of these archives will have a long thread on the subject.

When choosing a web designer, it really comes down to the question of "What are the total services the web company is providing you?". Are they just making you a nice looking site, while leaving the basic populating up to you? Do they provide any SEO assistance/direction? Do they help directly, or indirectly, with getting you ranked? If they leave the basics up to you, this means they're probably not doing much, or anything, for useful Page Title naming, H1 tags, localized strategy/guidance, etc.

One thing to point out re: magicmike's recommendation...while "going local" is a nice, altruistic notion, when it comes to web strategy, it's often not the best course to take. For graphic design, printing, etc, it's great. For web strategy, I don't recommend it, depending on the answer to this fundamental question..."Does that local web company provide services to other LCOs?". If they do, then I question the web company's strategic usefulness and ethics. As I've mentioned a few times on here, search ranking is a sport or battle. You can't have someone double-dipping by coaching both teams. Someone has to lose and, hopefully, it's the other guy.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They sent me an email saying everything it includes..

5 page static custom design
search engine optimization
30 minutes/month for updates and maintenance through the first year
ownership of the site after the initial year

I still have to call them and find out how much of the work they will be doing. They said it usually takes 6-8 weeks for them to get it done so it sounds like they are doing a lot. They also said that they will waive some $199 set up fee which makes that come out to $985
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
They sent me an email saying everything it includes..

5 page static custom design
search engine optimization
30 minutes/month for updates and maintenance through the first year
ownership of the site after the initial year

I still have to call them and find out how much of the work they will be doing. They said it usually takes 6-8 weeks for them to get it done so it sounds like they are doing a lot. They also said that they will waive some $199 set up fee which makes that come out to $985
Posted via Mobile Device
If they do SEO for the sites that you posted, they're not very good at it, missing the most basic things.

Don't let 6-8 weeks indicate anything re: effort levels or what they're actually doing with your site. There is no way any of those linked sites took much time at all to do (the custom builder's site could be up and running in 2 hours) , so this is their lead time to get to yours, or have whoever they outsource to, turn it around to them. I mention the outsource aspect as it's a very common thing and it would explain why the three sites are so inconsistently coded. Large companies that provide web design services almost always use a specific framework to build their sites, whereas this does not.

Yelp's reviews might help you as well. Scroll down to the web design reviews. Their web hosting reviews are generally positive, but the design reviews are decidedly not. http://www.yelp.com/biz/inmotion-hosting-los-angeles
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

We used word press, it was free and easy to do. Its not the best looking set up but it was FREE and does everything I need it to do. Check it out www.groundworxky.com.