Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

New to fertilizing and seeding?

I have a customer interested in sprucing up their yard. This is a new customer I've never seen their property. He is interested in fixing up his yard. The way he sounded is that the yard is very lightly covered with grass. I'm not one hundred percent but I think it's more like a splotchy yard some grass here no grass there kinda thing. He he don't know what he needs yet. I'm going to go look at his yard and tell him what he needs sometime this week. I am wondering how I should approach this job. Should I go take samples of the yard find out what the yard is gonna need or what? What would you do in this situation?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The best thing to do is sow more seed and cover with compost... get the seed growing strong with deep roots before the heat of summer... keep the pre-m off the yard for one season and reseed in the Fall... by next Spring the grass should be thick enough to be acceptable...

Determine Soil Texture(sand/clay mixture) when you physically inspect the yard...
Old 03-14-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check for the dead skeletons of crabgrass. If you see much--crabgrass will be a problem later on.
Be sure you understand and explain to the customer what will probably happen. If the site is not irrigated, you should probably control crabgrass now and seed in the fall. You are in tall fescue country, right?
If the timing is perfect--you may be able to seed in spring--and apply crabgrass control, after the new grass has been mowed twice. Risky...if the weather gets hot suddenly, you may be too late for crabgrass control. You may have to use the more costly Drive for crabgrass control.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Riggle is absolutely correct...

Here's the GAMBLE:

Either you get grass growing and have decent ground cover (even if its AR) for the Summer,, as much as possible...

OR

you kill all the new growth and are stuck with lots of exposed dirt for the Summer...

I favor growing more plants whenever possible because the more plants that are growing, the less likely the CG seed will ever get enough heat to germinate... With high mowing and mulch mowing, even w/out irrigation can prevent CG from even attempting to grow...

Last year of course killed even established lawns when no irrigation was available and the CG was the only ground cover left... But this was NOT the result of a failed attempt to Spring seeding... my irrigated portiions of lawn that I'd Spring seeded survived the Summer intact...