Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Dike walls, hills & slope-mower options.

Hello
I am looking for some thoughts from anybody having experiece with a diesel powered ZTR or similar equipment for sloped hill mowing, as well as large flat areas.

I am looking at a Exmark FrontRunner, I am aware of the history on this unit, and a Steiner 230, both with 60" decks, because they are available and within budget. I can't fund anything new at this time.

I now have 1 2/3 acre of dike wall to cut weekly and almost an acre, 5-6 times per season. The dike wall is 20-28 feet from side to side and 2500 lineal feet and 1300 feet. The slope is generally 30 degrees, plus or minus, with a crest 4-6 feet wide. See another thread I started with photos of the shorter dike.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...highlight=dike

I prefer diesel because I have several Kubotas now and diesel is less risk in Class 1 Div 2 areas where I mow.

Thanks in advance for everyones input.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I mow some very steep hillsides and I use a 48 hustler trimstar walkbehind. Must be 48 or 54 not the 36. This mower perfoms very well and I just use the stock tires. Put some tractor tires on it and will perform even better.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wssolutions View Post
Hello
I am looking for some thoughts from anybody having experiece with a diesel powered ZTR or similar equipment for sloped hill mowing, as well as large flat areas.

I am looking at a Exmark FrontRunner, I am aware of the history on this unit, and a Steiner 230, both with 60" decks, because they are available and within budget. I can't fund anything new at this time.

I now have 1 2/3 acre of dike wall to cut weekly and almost an acre, 5-6 times per season. The dike wall is 20-28 feet from side to side and 2500 lineal feet and 1300 feet. The slope is generally 30 degrees, plus or minus, with a crest 4-6 feet wide. See another thread I started with photos of the shorter dike.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...highlight=dike

I prefer diesel because I have several Kubotas now and diesel is less risk in Class 1 Div 2 areas where I mow.

Thanks in advance for everyones input.
For steep areas you should be looking at Aebi, Steiner, Ventrac, or Kut-Kwic. They are expensive.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

If your just mowing the slope pictured dont spend your money on those expensive machines i have 2 contracts that I got for mowing slopes only.
Hustler 48 trimstar 5500 bucks im tellling you works great as long as its not too wet. Im sure the other machines are great but this is a cheap alternative.
I use this mower on all kinds of property, the easiest machine to operate with its tbar handle. The cut is its main downfall not the best cutin high dense thick grass.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Neither of those machines is suitable for mowing the slope you're talking about. The Steiner 230 is the wrong model but almost every other model from Steiner is an articulated, wide track, 4x4 and can be fitted with double tires for safety on steep embankments. That may be a good option to consider for you.

The walk behind idea is good too but you will want something with a very wide track like the Ferris DD hydro 48 or a very light old school belt drive walk behind - you can pick these up for under 1000 used or under 3500 new. Pistol grip gives you the best control on steep slopes.

Sometimes trimming is the best option for simplicity and safety and I have found it can even save time in many situations. If you can reach up from the bottom and down from the top and don't have to traverse much of the middle I would consider this a good option.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies thus far.

The Ex FrontRunner is off the list and I'm now considering the Steiner 230 with 28 HP Kubota diesel and 60" deck, as well as, a Jacobson Steiner 4300 with a 21 HP Kubota diesel, a 60" deck and dual wheels on all four. I havn't found any reviews on the Jake and this unit had the engine replaced and is somewhat neglected but I must believe the duals and 4WD make it more appropriate than the Steiner. Parts for the Jake are also of a concern due to the various acquisitions as well as 7 less horsepower for what has more tire on the ground and probably weight. I have not been able to try either yet, but hope to try the Jake today, the STeiner is out of state. I have an articulating Case trencher, not real manueverable, and am concerned about this with the Jake.

As far as what needs to be mowed: Location 1, only 2 of the 5 dikes are pictured, is 1250 lineal feet of dike wall and location 2 is 2500 lineal feet. The dike is 20-28 feet side to side, both sides as well as the crest must be mowed and the elevation of the crest ranges from 4-8 feet above base grade. The 2500 is mowed weekly and part of 6 acres total and the 1250 is mowed 6 times a season and part of 4 1/2 acres total.

Whatever unit is chosen, it will also be used with a Kubota ZD326 and a Exmark TT 60 for the balance of the sites mowing needs.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Steiner/ventrac machine on slopes - I think that jacobsen is your winner if they are able to provide parts support. I think Ventrac bought out steiner at some point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K52ljoWFj0
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

STEINER is not owned by VENTRAC.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You're right remington - found the history on the website just to clear us both up.

In the mid 1970’s the seven Steiner brothers formed Steiner Corporation. Through the next fourteen years their company grew into 3 major marketing divisions, Turf Equipment, Agriculture Equipment and a community repair shop. In 1988, the Turf division was sold to Ransomes of Ipswich, England and the Agriculture line was sold to a group of employees that continued on with the agriculture products. In 1996 "Steiner Ag Products" was renamed "Venture Products Inc" to fit with the company's new focus of providing equipment for the physically impaired. The new brand name VENTRAC was launched and in 1998 the Steiner brothers focused their energies on the new “next generation” all-wheel-drive compact tractor. Since that time the market has embraced the VENTRAC with a tremendous reception.

Tags
dike , frontrunner , steiner