Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Good Walk Behind or Stander?

I have been starting to look for a good walk behind or stander. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvase813 View Post
I have been starting to look for a good walk behind or stander. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Budget? New/used? Size? Main mower? Gate mower? Home owner or biz?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Budget? New/used? Size? Main mower? Gate mower? Home owner or biz?
I would say if I could maybe look at a used one maybe under 3500. It would be used for smaller spaces able to fit through gates and it would be for a business.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvase813 View Post
I would say if I could maybe look at a used one maybe under 3500. It would be used for smaller spaces able to fit through gates and it would be for a business.
A fixed deck Wright is pretty easy to find in that range with less than 500 hours. They're great machines if you don't have a big swing in cut heights. You can find semi floating deck wrights RH and sentars or sports for that once in awhile but they're not as popular due to the initial invest new.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
A fixed deck Wright is pretty easy to find in that range with less than 500 hours. They're great machines if you don't have a big swing in cut heights. You can find semi floating deck wrights RH and sentars or sports for that once in awhile but they're not as popular due to the initial invest new.
So do recommend a stander over a walk behind then?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

To me a stander is 10x more comfortable to operate compared to a walk with a velke. I really never ran walks other than starting out. I wouldn't waste my money on a hydro unit in my market and type of properties I would go after. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a walk behind belt drive used for a grand and run it for back yards. Now running a walk as my main mower just isn't my thing and you really see them as a main machine here.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Depends on what you are doing. Here in the Deep South everybody runs sit down or standers but me it seems.

I love turf tracers. They are tanks parts are cheap. When you get a stander with an oddball size tire they cost a ton. Price wear parts of whatever you are looking at.

Another thing to remember is weight of the units. Walkbehinds can be walked behind when the ground is still too soft for other mowers.

The other thing is if you are gonna be a new buyer or used. Most of the huge companies use turf tracers and lease them. You can buy 2 year old 60" ones all day long for a little over 3 grand. I buy used because dealers here can't get your machine back to you anyway. I order parts online and repair myself.

Yes I would love a new vantage but saving 4 grand to run a used turf tracer makes me more money in the long run because i fix everything. If you can't fix stuff buy new from the best dealer you can find.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2014, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLM View Post
Depends on what you are doing. Here in the Deep South everybody runs sit down or standers but me it seems.

I love turf tracers. They are tanks parts are cheap. When you get a stander with an oddball size tire they cost a ton. Price wear parts of whatever you are looking at.

Another thing to remember is weight of the units. Walkbehinds can be walked behind when the ground is still too soft for other mowers.

The other thing is if you are gonna be a new buyer or used. Most of the huge companies use turf tracers and lease them. You can buy 2 year old 60" ones all day long for a little over 3 grand. I buy used because dealers here can't get your machine back to you anyway. I order parts online and repair myself.

Yes I would love a new vantage but saving 4 grand to run a used turf tracer makes me more money in the long run because i fix everything. If you can't fix stuff buy new from the best dealer you can find.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can get some standers that you can walk behind or stand. I believe the platforms fold up and if I remember right the exmark and toros do. I know they cut very good too around here.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
You can get some standers that you can walk behind or stand. I believe the platforms fold up and if I remember right the exmark and toros do. I know they cut very good too around here.
Yes I know you can't find used ones 2 years old for anywhere near 3 grand in a 60". Drive tires are twice as much and and yes they go 1.3 mph faster and probably more comfortable than riding a sulky but they weigh a couple hundred more pounds.

If he needs a warranty buy new if not that is the way to go. If not why spend they money? Why pay the dealers mortgage instead of your own?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

About the TORO series I worked on a Golf Course for some time and I also preferred the Toro equipment to the Jacobson and John Deere. For the Greens mowers, rough mower, and fairway units they seemed to have the most up time and they were comfortable to use, then again that was golf course turf equipment not stand on or walk behind mowers.