Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

As of yet nobody first hand has used the TurfMaster either Exmark or Toro with a direct comparison to the lighter and more nimble homeowner TimeMaster....?

Thus far we have a second hand report from an LCO who bought both and flat out said buy the cheaper Home Owner model and be done with it.

There are about 4-5 accounts I mow with my TimeMaster that I'd drop in a heart beat if I had to run a 21' on them. Yes this is a niche mower.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
As of yet nobody first hand has used the TurfMaster either Exmark or Toro with a direct comparison to the lighter and more nimble homeowner TimeMaster....?

Thus far we have a second hand report from an LCO who bought both and flat out said buy the cheaper Home Owner model and be done with it.

There are about 4-5 accounts I mow with my TimeMaster that I'd drop in a heart beat if I had to run a 21' on them. Yes this is a niche mower.
I do just about everything with my TimeMaster. I've heard other LCO's basically talk down about this mower but I love it. Haven't had a problem yet. Just have to stay on top of the maintenance. There are a few properties that I have where due to size, I have to use my 22". The bagging system is not the greatest but I usually either mulch or side discharge anyway so it's all good. In time I will upgrade to a 36" or wider and just use the TimeMaster as a trim mower or something.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I sold my Timemaster Saturday. Most dealers agree it is underpowered and think Toro needs to address this in the future. I'm a homeowner and I was unsatisfied. I can't imagine LCO's being very happy with this unit, but to each their own I suppose.

About the Tufmaster blades: As I mentioned in an earlier post, Toro advised not to use them on the Timemaster because the engine has a different powerband and apparently the heavier blade affects performance. Personally, I think Toro is full sh** on this one because there is no way that 179cc Kawasaki engine on the Turfmaster makes substantially more power, at any RPM, than the 190cc B&S Pro engine, and thus, allowing it to spin a heavier blade with more lift. I posted the power curves earlier and just do not see it.

GW
Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe Toro doesn't want to get left holding the bag on a bunch of shiddy Timemaster blades. lol Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I love Toro equipment but....I think the other manufacturers will see this as a viable alternative to the 21. It will never replace the big, traditional WB mower. No way, no how. I wish Honda made a 30" with their hydro tranny and their engine. Hopefully we will see some more (any competitor)competition from other manufacturers. I would like to see the 30" mower survive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I think commercially, you might see the 30" survive but residentially, not sure.

For the homeowner, the 30"-34" walk behind class is pretty limited and by the time you spend $1500 to get into that class of walk behind, you can be riding on a 100 series Deere, Cub 1042, etc. The riders have more power, wider decks, and can be used to do more than just cut grass in many cases.

GW
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If Toro in fact was silly enough to put out an advisory, bulletin or heaven forbid a Service Bulletin to NOT run TurfMaster blades on a TimeMaster due to extra weight [same exact blades merely different bend] or the added lift will burden the engine. Serious pant load there.

Then again other dealers are not aware of the blades being any different....

Over time I believe my Briggs generates more power than when new. I only run SL rated oil BTW in mine.

If I didn't have this mower to run I'd be bummed. It allows some of us to waste less time on smaller tighter lawns and not waste time with a 21" or have to be hassled with a bigger WB with a side hanging catcher.

My BOP 32, 36 and 44 will absolutely smoke the TimeMaster in power and manicured cut quality. Further reason why I would not want to spend $1800 on a nichie mower that lacks the tight manicured cut of bigger mowers. Plus more weight and a few other issues.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 06-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I just ordered the Turfmaster-baffle,flow control part. It mounts on the forward bulkhead under and inside the deck. The Timemaster deck packs along this forward bulkhead and this will hopefully help eliminate this and improve performance.

The Turfmaster comes with this baffle installed, it is not the mulch kit.

Toro part# is: 116-5588-01.

When the part comes in I will drill it up and install and report back. The baffle isolates the blades a bit more, I hope this will help some with the suction.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum2 View Post
I think commercially, you might see the 30" survive but residentially, not sure.

For the homeowner, the 30"-34" walk behind class is pretty limited and by the time you spend $1500 to get into that class of walk behind, you can be riding on a 100 series Deere, Cub 1042, etc. The riders have more power, wider decks, and can be used to do more than just cut grass in many cases.

GW
Posted via Mobile Device
Timemaster is so much faster than a rider. Before they came out i had a snapper RER that had tons of power but the maneuverability was not there so it always took longer. I wouldn't touch another riding mower unless i could get a commercial ZTR and that starts around 5k. When the 30 came out i put my snapper up for sale. I now have a faster, better cut. The rider would scalp and cut unevenly in spots. There are always some spots i just couldn't get with a rider, and had to use a trim mower. The 30 gets it all in one machine.

I have bumped the RPMs a bit and fitted the high lift blades and it runs Mobil 1 10w30 HM oil with ethanol free gas. It is plenty powerful and barely uses any gas. My snapper RER would consume about 3x the fuel with its larger engine and having to propel my weight around. The 30 is a lot more fuel efficient than my toro 22 ever was.

The problem with 30" homeowner sales is most people wish they had a riding mower. Until they actually have one and see its real world cons. $999 is very close to some cheap riders. If Toro would sell it for $899 they would have a lot more buyers. More guys looking to get a $600 honda/toro 21 would think about jumping up to the 30. $899 would be far enough away from riders to keep people from buying a cheapo rider. Are you listening Toro? $899 and make sure every Home Depot has it, not just some of the stores.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareo View Post
Timemaster is so much faster than a rider. Before they came out i had a snapper RER that had tons of power but the maneuverability was not there so it always took longer. I wouldn't touch another riding mower unless i could get a commercial ZTR and that starts around 5k. When the 30 came out i put my snapper up for sale. I now have a faster, better cut. The rider would scalp and cut unevenly in spots. There are always some spots i just couldn't get with a rider, and had to use a trim mower. The 30 gets it all in one machine.

I have bumped the RPMs a bit and fitted the high lift blades and it runs Mobil 1 10w30 HM oil with ethanol free gas. It is plenty powerful and barely uses any gas. My snapper RER would consume about 3x the fuel with its larger engine and having to propel my weight around. The 30 is a lot more fuel efficient than my toro 22 ever was.

The problem with 30" homeowner sales is most people wish they had a riding mower. Until they actually have one and see its real world cons. $999 is very close to some cheap riders. If Toro would sell it for $899 they would have a lot more buyers. More guys looking to get a $600 honda/toro 21 would think about jumping up to the 30. $899 would be far enough away from riders to keep people from buying a cheapo rider. Are you listening Toro? $899 and make sure every Home Depot has it, not just some of the stores.
You make some good points. It does depend on the lawn/layout as to whether a walk behind will work better than I rider. Most people don't care if the rider takes longer. They just don't want to walk. I understand that too. If you don't have a lot of areas that require trimming, a rider with a 42" deck and a ground speed of 5MPH or so with a floating deck will flat smoke a TimeMaster. The TimeMaster will bog down and give a choppy cut on a lumpy yard. And good luck walking 5MPH behind it for very long. I'd rather not work or sweat that hard personally. Anyway, I think Toro could be on to something with a little more improvement.

GW
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

If i go as fast as my T30 will go i do get worn out. Partly because it goes fast and partly because i'm fat. I need and want the exercise it gives me though. On the 6 lawns i do each week, one lawn was faster to cut with the snapper rider. It is basically a huge, long rectangle with very limited trim. I have more garage space now that my rider is gone, and i don't need my trailer to move it around. Plus, the T30 has a bags right out of the box, something most riders sell separate. I guess i should say you do need to buy the other blades before it bags well out of the box.