Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-17-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I think the TimeMaster would out cut an RER most if the time. But, large deck riders and ZRT's no way. I do like how you get everything you need with the TimeMaster. The others require that additional accessories be purchased.

GW
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For those who have used/are using the Timemaster, how did it work out as a mulching mower?
The large deck concerns me in that I'm thinking there may be "too much" to mulch properly.

I Currently run both a 36" Ferris hydro walk behind with a mulch kit installed and a 21" Toro Super Recycler, which I mulch with almost exclusively.
THIS year, growth has been fast, so I've been bagging more than in the past, but when possible, I will mulch.

I don't really care how the 30" does as a bagger, but if I'm even going to consider one, it needs to mulch "adequately" at a minimum.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
For those who have used/are using the Timemaster, how did it work out as a mulching mower?
The large deck concerns me in that I'm thinking there may be "too much" to mulch properly.

I Currently run both a 36" Ferris hydro walk behind with a mulch kit installed and a 21" Toro Super Recycler, which I mulch with almost exclusively.
THIS year, growth has been fast, so I've been bagging more than in the past, but when possible, I will mulch.

I don't really care how the 30" does as a bagger, but if I'm even going to consider one, it needs to mulch "adequately" at a minimum.
I have a Timemaster and a 21" Super Recycler. In my opinion, I think the Timemaster mulches better than the 21". I put on the Turfmaster blades today and they do take a bit more power. The engine seems to be running a little slower. When the mower begins to bog down a bit it helps to raise the back of the deck one notch.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
I have a Timemaster and a 21" Super Recycler. In my opinion, I think the Timemaster mulches better than the 21". I put on the Turfmaster blades today and they do take a bit more power. The engine seems to be running a little slower. When the mower begins to bog down a bit it helps to raise the back of the deck one notch.
Excellent. Someone with firsthand experience with the mower I already use.

Do you get the little strip of clippings along the left side when the grass is just a leeeettle too tall like you do with the SR4?

How does the 30" mower compare when turning at the end of a run to go back the other direction?
When I mess with them in the store, the Timemaster seems bulky and heavy. I'm having a hard time accepting that the mower is "just as easy" to operate as a 21", but what do I know, I've never used one.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Excellent. Someone with firsthand experience with the mower I already use.

Do you get the little strip of clippings along the left side when the grass is just a leeeettle too tall like you do with the SR4?

How does the 30" mower compare when turning at the end of a run to go back the other direction?
When I mess with them in the store, the Timemaster seems bulky and heavy. I'm having a hard time accepting that the mower is "just as easy" to operate as a 21", but what do I know, I've never used one.
Actually, mine does leave a strip of clippings on both sides. The mower is easy to turn. Yes, it is bulkier on side hills, etc. Otherwise it is good. Do not miss the 21" at all.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Actually, mine does leave a strip of clippings on both sides. The mower is easy to turn. Yes, it is bulkier on side hills, etc. Otherwise it is good. Do not miss the 21" at all.
Which mower are you referring to?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Which mower are you referring to?
Sorry. The Timemaster is very easy to turn. Simply push down on the handle bars and pivot. It is a bit more cumbersome in tight spaces though. I really like the 30" concept but do think there are some glitches and improvements that could be made to make it even better.

In full disclosure, I have not run the commercial version. Could not get a demo to compare.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I have always used Toro 21 or 22 inch mowers setup to mulch. The time master out mulches them. The twin blades result in smaller clippings and somehow very even redistribution of those clippings. If you have too much grass going through it it will bog down, just like every 21 I've ever used.

It seems a bit heavy to handle at first but you quickly get used to it. I work a desk job during the week and only mow part time. I'm not in any kind of good shape or strong at all. Yet i can easily handle it and load/unload it into my truck with one 6" ramp. The pro model would probably be too heavy for me to one ramp it.

When bagging, it picks up less clippings. It still looks clean and bagged, but it is so much easier my 2 stroke snapper hi vac. That thing vacuums everything up nicely, but i dump bags at least 2x more than the 30. The 30 leaves the smallest pieces behind bagging and picks up the bigger stuff. This gives you some nutrients for the lawn and the bagged look. It wont clean up all the small leaves from the grass or anything. So when i want to really vacuum my lawn i get out the hi-vac.

I can't say it enough, i love my timemaster.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareo View Post
I have always used Toro 21 or 22 inch mowers setup to mulch. The time master out mulches them. The twin blades result in smaller clippings and somehow very even redistribution of those clippings. If you have too much grass going through it it will bog down, just like every 21 I've ever used.

It seems a bit heavy to handle at first but you quickly get used to it. I work a desk job during the week and only mow part time. I'm not in any kind of good shape or strong at all. Yet i can easily handle it and load/unload it into my truck with one 6" ramp. The pro model would probably be too heavy for me to one ramp it.

When bagging, it picks up less clippings. It still looks clean and bagged, but it is so much easier my 2 stroke snapper hi vac. That thing vacuums everything up nicely, but i dump bags at least 2x more than the 30. The 30 leaves the smallest pieces behind bagging and picks up the bigger stuff. This gives you some nutrients for the lawn and the bagged look. It wont clean up all the small leaves from the grass or anything. So when i want to really vacuum my lawn i get out the hi-vac.

I can't say it enough, i love my timemaster.
Just guessing here but maybe the higher lift Turfmaster blades will help with bagging.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Turfmaster blades are a must for quality bagging. The stock blades leave even more clippings behind when bagging. So if you want to half bag, half mulch use the stock blades.