Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareo View Post
Turfmaster blades are a must for quality bagging. The stock blades leave even more clippings behind when bagging. So if you want to half bag, half mulch use the stock blades.
Well stated

But for a more manicured look with fewer stragglers and/or stringers and vastly less temptation to NOT double cut areas on nicer lawns .... save some time at the expense of a fuller catcher.

All Hail the TurfMaster blades.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Actually, mine does leave a strip of clippings on both sides. The mower is easy to turn. Yes, it is bulkier on side hills, etc. Otherwise it is good. Do not miss the 21" at all.

I'll try this again. LOL

You mentioned the string of clippings on "both sides". Which mower are you referring to?

While handling ease is important, I'm mainly interested in how well (or not) the Timemaster mulches since I am not really set up for hauling away bags upon bags of clippings.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I'll try this again. LOL

You mentioned the string of clippings on "both sides". Which mower are you referring to?

While handling ease is important, I'm mainly interested in how well (or not) the Timemaster mulches since I am not really set up for hauling away bags upon bags of clippings.
Sorry, I was referring to the Timemaster.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

damp and wet grass mulch mowing w/ TimeMaster

I tried mulch mowing [Toro TimeMaster] numerous accounts today that I didn't want to bag with my yBravo25.

Standard TimeMaster lower lift blades with mulch plug installed. Deck will in fact load up but it will warn you that it's time to scrap the deck when little clumps drop out and appear.

More rain in the forecast so I will compare strictly wet grass mulching with the TurfMaster blades.

I'm also running an Oregon® G6 gator on the yBravo25. With Plug installed.

Typically in wet conditions my picky manicured double cut quality goes out the window. Regardless I never leave accounts looking like mowed hayfeilds.

DO NOT RUN THIS BLADE ON THE yBravo25 **unless** you use a max length spindle bolt of matching grade.

Stock one is too short. :Hammerhead:

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

New Timemaster homeowner here. 5 mowings (mulch only) so far....all on 3-4 days growth. 4 with the factory blade. One mowing tonight with the Tuffmaster blade that came today. I sharpened the edge before installing. I noticed it seemed louder then the Timemaster blade. Suction was a little better then the timemaster blade by the edge of the fence where I can see leaves being sucked under the deck ....but not the vacuum my Honda Hydro is. (both mowers set at the same height)
It did bog and leave scraps in two areas that are known for this but the std blade had not done this at all and todays mow was only day three. I did take the mower with the timemaster blade over to do the neighbors yard last week when they were out of town and the grass was very long..... I could not resist the test. It never bogged or clumped with the Timemaster blade. After tonights performance I'm sure the Tuffmaster blade would have been disappointing.
Another discovery. Where the Timemaster blade would leave a thick grass ring under the deck directly across from the blade....even in dry grass. The Turfmaster left the deck basically clean. Granted I used a "bagging blade" for mulching..... I'll use it a few more times and switch back to the Timemaster to see/feel the difference.
The quality of the cut seems better with less "strays" popping up afterwards....I was hoping the extra lift on the blade would stand it up better. The Timemaster blade had the factory edge on the blade which was not the sharpest and the blades of grass were not showing a sharp cut edge.

So far I'm happy. It's not a Honda but I'm saving 20 minutes a cut.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Turfmaster blades do take a bit more power to turn, since they generate more lift. There is a small metal bracket that you can bend forward to make the engine run faster. It has a small spring on it. I run a bit higher than stock speed. I changed to Mobil 1 10w30 HM synthetic oil and frequently blow the mower clean to help with the extra heat. Do these mods at your own risk.

The stock blades take less power, but lift the grass less. A bit less is actually cut and much fewer clippings are brought into the deck to be mulched, bagged, or side discharged.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

If or when you adjust the engine I highly recommend a tachometer. 500-1000 rpm's is virtually impossible to sense audibly. Tiny Tach and another similar unit cost about $25. They also incorporate an hour meter. Engine running--tach display. Engine off--hours in 1/10 increments.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Also. My baffle came in yesterday. I will pick it up this am and install.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone know what the Turfmaster "mulch kit" is?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Been out hydro mowing with my TimeMaster with low lift blades and full mulch mode in soaking wet grass in the rain.

The mower does not over process and pulp clippings but eventually will drop smaller clumps.

Park mower over burlap/tarp zip off blades with impact....scrape deck....install blades. Less than 90 seconds.

Seriously less hassle than emptying my yBravo25 bag when bagging wet grass.

This procedure worked well until I got to an account that was over fetilized....

Anyone else try this....?

I was actually making good progress in the rain with this method. I did not see another lco mowing the entire day.

I had standing water in the low parts of some lawns....?

Posted via Mobile Device