Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After using the Turfmaster for two weeks in heavy leaf cleanups, I would recommend this mower over the Timemaster for anyone who will be employing it on a regular basis with leaves or thicker growth in the spring. Also I would recommend it for anyone currently using a 36 inch mower for smaller lawns, or small gated backyards. The power and torque is extremely noticable compared to the Timemaster. This is coming from someone who loves the Timemaster as well and will continue to use it as a backup to the commercial unit and for midsummer, slower growth mowing. The OP has continuously asked for comparisons for those that own both the Timemaster and the Turfmaster and this is mine. The Turfmaster is definitely worth the extra coin based on the added "grunt" of the the Kawasaki engine (which already has a longstanding reputation as a fine model engine), as well as sturdier built components. I feel like the Turfmaster is a fine replacement to my BOP Quick 36 which I sold this summer, for everyday heavy use. The spring will be another test, but based on how it plows through leaves without choking, I am very confident that it can get the job done just as well as the BOP mowers with similar narrow deck. Also I save time over a 36 model because of not having to mess with a heavy aluminum or steel bagger if I do have to bag or transition to mulching or side discharge. The single bail is simple design, and easy to use, and there have been no reports of transmission problems on the Toro version. Also it saves time not having to switch from hi-lifts to gator blade in the fall since the Turfmaster has both built into one blade, which is a heck of a good idea if I ever heard of one.

Matt
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Matt,

Thanks for the input. Any chance you can put tachometers on these 2 mowers...at some point...? I believe the blade tip speed is faster on the Commercial Exmark and Toro.

I have also noticed leaf duty with the TimeMaster is a bit of a bog fest myself. I actually prefer my yBravo with a G3/G6 blade over the TimeMaster. Honesty if I can get my Q32 Dually in there with G5/G6 gators it is a vastly faster leaf reduction drill hands down.

I still have my BOP Q36 single and honestly I feel the TimeMaster is more versatile and productive in many ways overall. BOP Dually 32/36/44 different story. Much faster and they deliver a tighter manicured cut especially with the 32/44 due to blade selection.

Even if the TimeMaster has a weaker engine the rapid height adjustment and the ability to fold handle vertical is huge.
At times I use a hand clamp to keep the blade bail engaged and I'll adjust the mowing height. Don't try this at home but it is still safer than hand propping and airplane.

I try to avoid bagging lawns as much as I can. I admit a side catcher is a PITA. I still have a few clients who insist on it or they have another Co. Do the applications. When I'm forced to bag smaller lawn the T30 is supreme.

*** Side note***
I'm getting to the point in this biz here in the land of Walker GHS mowers where many want or expect bagging. My way or the highway. If I'm not in control of applications you are going to be charged more $. Want it mowed below 2"...more money per cut.

I honestly want to avoid lawns where the T30 works best. I want more lawns where I can fit my BOP duallys on and NOT be stuck bagging and better yet hook up my step saver.

The manicured tight cut of the BOP mowers smokes the TimeMaster and yBravo25.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 11-18-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
At times I use a hand clamp to keep the blade bail engaged and I'll adjust the mowing height. Don't try this at home but it is still safer than hand propping and airplane.
I use a strip of Velcro and wrap it around the bail to keep things running....(professional use under controled conditions of course)
Old 11-29-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I received a recall notice on my 30" Toro TimeMaster.

There is no campaign number and it's not, yet, on their site.

Affected models are: 20199 and 20200, VIN #31300001-31399999 on both models.

Problem: The mower spindle on the left side a has a washer that can deform and allow the spindle to loosen. If the spindle loosens, the blade on the left side may fracture due to the excessive vibration.

Customer service: 855-340-7686

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 11-29-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I received a recall notice on my 30" Toro TimeMaster.

There is no campaign number and it's not, yet, on their site.

Affected models are: 20199 and 20200, VIN #31300001-31399999 on both models.

Problem: The mower spindle on the left side a has a washer that can deform and allow the spindle to loosen. If the spindle loosens, the blade on the left side may fracture due to the excessive vibration.

Customer service: 855-340-7686
I received the same notice in the mail today.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Called dealer and they were aware of the recall - will schedule repair when the snow gets a bit higher. He did indicate that they had been going to HD and fixing the ones in stock.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My local Home Depot has these marked down fwiw. Snagged a pair. Ironically this store has never stocked a TimeMaster...?

These blades are good for mulch mowing in the rain ironically. Once the deck spits a bit....scrap deck over burlap square then repeat.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
My local Home Depot has these marked down fwiw. Snagged a pair. Ironically this store has never stocked a TimeMaster...?

These blades are good for mulch mowing in the rain ironically. Once the deck spits a bit....scrap deck over burlap square then repeat.
Price cut in half! Nice! I should take a stroll to my local HD and see if the have the same sale!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are there any aftermarket blades available yet for the 30's?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Are there any aftermarket blades available yet for the 30's?
Not that I'm aware of but I do have some baldes I was going to modify for this purpose. Problem is Toro didn't want non OEM blades run on these mowers. Both the commercial and consumer models have identical spindles and blade keepers.

50/50 I will get to blade modifications before March. Have other fish to fry...etc.
Posted via Mobile Device