Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we just got one of those, homeowner models, and it is totally awesome. just have to treat it better since it lacks the protective guards and metal wheels. other than that, same mower.............
Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=grassman177;4781459]we just got one of those, homeowner models, and it is totally awesome. just have to treat it better since it lacks the protective guards and metal wheels. other than that, same mower.

i don't know why everyone keeps saying "same mower" the kawi engine on the commercial model could easily last 10 times longer than the briggs. plus better wheels and drive system if it isn't a lemon. to me that would save money in the long run. plus awesome fuel efficiency on kj
[size=
Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess I must be off my rocker. Am I the only one who feels these mowers are grossly underpowered for a twin-blade mower? I mow KBG, and it is quite thick (not to be confused with long) most of the year. This 190cc engine just doesn't have the guts in my experience. While the Kawi might be better in this respect, it is only 180cc so I can't imagine it is substatially more robust in its power, but I could be wrong....I haven't used one. I think the TimeMaster cut is good, and I do like the personal pace since my lawn is flat. But I do have one fairly steep slope and it does not work great in that area. Other than that, the drive works well. My biggest complaints are lack of power and weak bagging performance. It mulches pretty well and of course, side discharge works well too. I just don't think these are $1000 machines. I don't think I would have gone with a commercial mower, but perhaps a Billy Goat HP3400 would have been a better choice. That would have at least gotten me some real power and a fabricated deck. Anyway.....just my thoughts on TimeMaster.

GW
Old 05-31-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It appears my early concerns with the timed-blade system are essentially unfounded. Timed blades make a LOT of sense...until you hit something substantial, that is.

If any of you have had to replace a shear pin/belt...how difficult a procedure is it?

Am sure enjoying reading all the comments/reviews. The future of these mowers appears in tact once the bugs are dealt with. Still, some more power/torque seems obvious is all aspects. An optional power upgrade would fit the bill. Maybe the present deck/components could not handle it, but 11-12 hp would be a nice improvement.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I just purchased the Timemaster. Love the drive controls, but not happy with the stragglers in St Augustine yards. I have it set up to mulch and am careful to walk very slowly in thick grass, but it still doesn’t give a clean cut. It’s a pain having to back up and recut a single blade of grass. My Toro dealer claims the Turfmaster blades are identical to the Timemaster blades. I called another Toro dealer and was told the same thing.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Get the turfmaster blades they are higher lift.

The timed blades are keyed at the blade and timed with a cogged belt. I sheaared a blade washer, the blades flanked, let off the BBC, figured out the problem, got new washer. All good, no real issues, blades still measure put on the garage floor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Iíd like to know exactly what part broke on your engine.

A few of the Personal Pace drives didnít work right last year either. This same basic Briggs engine is on Turfco aerators....? Itís also on my Lawn Solutions aerator.

As of yet nobody has given a comparison between the TurfMaster and Time Master power wise or an any other front....?.....?

Honestly if my TimeMaster 30 died Iíd probably by another ASAP. Itís notably lighter than the commercial version and the Personal Pace makes it ridiculously easy to use except on up and down hills. On those types of lawns that are small and/or forced to bag... I grab my yBravo 25.

For the record I use Castrol 0w-30 which is a true ďSLĒ rated oil not the weak sister SN & SM newer spec oils with less ZDDP. Since the Time Master races up to max rpm immediately just makes sense.

I just canít see spending $1700+ on a commercial mower that canít bag grass in the rain like my yBravo 25 can. I can mow and bag wet damp grass with the higher lift commercial blades to a point on the Time Master but nothing like the yBravo 25. Still..... unless the cut quality is somehow better on the commercial model...no thanks.

The shear speed of my Dually BOP mowers and flat manicured cut quality blows away both the Time Master 30 and the yBravo. Again for my use and purposes I donít see the TurfMaster as being worth the extra $. Both the Time Master and yBravo 25 are niche mowers.

I refuse to use 21's.
I felt like I was trying to read Hebrew when I read this Exact. What is ZDDP? And what is SL? How does Castrol differ from Mobil 1 for example? I'm trying to learn these things and hone my inner mechanic.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 06-01-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you are bagging your grass....you must get the Higher lift Turf Master blades. I wonder how Yoda would say that...

I put a sharp set of lower lift Time Master blades on today just to compare....

Seriously forgot how bad they were for bagging....

The lower lift Time Master blades I believe drove much of the hate towards the machine.

Going to save the low lift Time Master blades for aeration plug break up drills.

Last I checked this years Time Masters are still shipping the lower lift blades.

The lower lift blades bag okay in nominal growth....just not as well as with the Turf Master blades.

I seriously hate bagging and will only do it for granny lawns that are small and mowed too short.....and the time master is what I use. Wet soggy conditions yBravo 25.

I can double cut with my Dually 36 or 44 and mulch and beat the single pass bagging time with the Time Master....but I run or jog behind the Dually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum2 View Post
I guess I must be off my rocker. Am I the only one who feels these mowers are grossly underpowered for a twin-blade mower? I mow KBG, and it is quite thick (not to be confused with long) most of the year. This 190cc engine just doesn't have the guts in my experience. While the Kawi might be better in this respect, it is only 180cc so I can't imagine it is substatially more robust in its power, but I could be wrong....I haven't used one. I think the TimeMaster cut is good, and I do like the personal pace since my lawn is flat. But I do have one fairly steep slope and it does not work great in that area. Other than that, the drive works well. My biggest complaints are lack of power and weak bagging performance. It mulches pretty well and of course, side discharge works well too. I just don't think these are $1000 machines. I don't think I would have gone with a commercial mower, but perhaps a Billy Goat HP3400 would have been a better choice. That would have at least gotten me some real power and a fabricated deck. Anyway.....just my thoughts on TimeMaster.

GW
Are you bagging or mulching...? What height....?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post

Are you bagging or mulching...? What height....?
I do either, depending. Generally, I mulch and the mower seems to do that pretty well as long as the grass is not too tall (say 3" or more), or wet. I cut to 2" in the spring and 2.5"-3" in the summer. I would be interested in trying the Turfmaster blades.

I still don't like the lack of power. Even MTD uses a 10.5HP motor (or better) on their wide cut mowers. Commercial mowers usually have at least 13HP. I just feel Toro cheaped out in the engine department in a big way.

GW
Old 06-01-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum2 View Post

I still don't like the lack of power. Even MTD uses a 10.5HP motor (or better) on their wide cut mowers. Commercial mowers usually have at least 13HP. I just feel Toro cheaped out in the engine department in a big way.

GW
The deck and components would possibly/likely need to be beefier to handle more power...? Then the cost and weight would go up...??
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings