Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Stander demo - Gravely, Exmark, John Deere, Scag, Toro, and Wright

A short while back I started a thread asking for reviews of the scag v-ride 61 as I was unable to find one around here to demo. I really wanted to get the feel for weight balance, traction, scalping, etc. before making the purchase, but have had trouble locating anything larger than a 52. I decided to look at other brands and found that some of the local dealers and reps were willing to loan out demo models (and a couple showroom units) for a side by side comparison for myself and one or two of my employees and peers.

Looks like by next Friday the 22nd we'll have the chance to try the Gravely, Exmark, and Deere 60-61inch models on one of our larger properties. Still waiting to hear from the Toro and Wright reps whether they can supply full size machines but the smaller ones are easy to round up at least - a 52 is the only thing we can run from scag anyway. The Scag rep (good guy) found a 61 in a crate at a dealership within an hour from here that I may go look at if I can't nail down a favorite from among the others or if the 52 inch v ride somehow outshines the competition.

It goes a long way in my book that some manufacturers are so accommodating to the end user and I plan to take some pics and notes on the differences and strengths of each individual model. Hopefully others that wind up in the position I did will have another source of info here before buying a machine sight unseen.

It's a week early but I'll start listing out some specs and initial feeling as a reference point.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This sounds cool I will keep checking back , also let us know how well they handle slopes.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think Gravely deserves some sort of special credit here on lawnsite for closely monitoring the boards. I was quickly contacted by a rep here after mentioning the Pro Stance in the other thread. She passed my information along to the factory and distributor reps who both contacted me directly and are able to locate and bring out a 61inch machine in time for demo day. Incidentally, I think this 61 inch machine and a 52 inch EFI model will be in Hockessin De this monday (3/18/13) for the Gravely dealer's open house if anyone from the area wants to get a look. I plan to attend as well and get some pricing and preliminary info.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
This sounds cool I will keep checking back , also let us know how well they handle slopes.
Will do - hillside traction is a huge plus for me. We mow with 60-61 inch zero turns only and I've learned over the years that the right balance and traction adds to productivity and cuts down on property damage significantly.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quick rundown on top speeds (reverse in parenthesis):

Wright ZK - 13.5mph
Deere - 9.6mph (4.8)
Gravely - 9mph (4)
Scag - 8.5mph on 52 (6) 11mph on 61
Exmark - 8mph (4)
Toro - 8mph (4)
These speeds are plenty if you're replacing a walk behind but faster is better I think if you want to replace a rider - it does add up in open fields and in transport for multiple property stops.

Weight without operator:

Wright ZK - 1250
Gravely - 1033 EFI 1107 23.5 kawi
Deere - 998
Scag - 975
Toro - 899
Exmark - 883

Rear tires:

wright - 24x12x12
gravely, scag, exmark - 20x10.5x8
deere, toro - 20x10x8

Front tires:

scag, toro, exmark - 11x4x5 semi pneumatic
gravely, deere, wright - 13x6.5x6
I'm sure the larger front tires are better for curb hopping but the smaller ones tend to tear less when executing a three point turns in my experience.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im very excited for this shoot out!! I have personally tested the new Gravely Pro-Stance. Its a very impresive machine and their customer service is second to none.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm looking forward to using the pro stance based on your review of the 52 GMLC. I think going to the zt3400 drive system was a good way to get the weight down low and expect it to have a nice, smooth control feel.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
I'm looking forward to using the pro stance based on your review of the 52 GMLC. I think going to the zt3400 drive system was a good way to get the weight down low and expect it to have a nice, smooth control feel.
Gravely claims to have the stander with the lowest center of gravity. I had no way to prove it in my review but a multi machine shootout is going to be the way to go! Your going to have a ton of fun and I cant wait for the results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mag360, any chance on getting a Badboy stander for the shootout? I got a really good look at one last year at the Grows Show and was not impressed with the build and design. But I am curious on how it performs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never really been a Gravely guy. In fact, I just purchased some Scag riders. But somewhere down the road I might want to demo the Gravely Pro Stance. Just looking at the pics, it seems they did a lot of things right. I love having the fuel tank centered and near the engine - better stability. Of course the V-Ride type controls are really nice. I love the fenders over the rear wheels. EFI engines available. Everything is very compact and appears to be built like a tank. If I were buying a stander, Gravely would be very high on my list.