Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

added another mower today

picked up a 2012 Wright Stander X today 52''. dealer messed up and told me the wrong price so ended up getting it 600 bucks cheaper than i should have for this time of year! can't wait to get it dialed in and start mowing with it!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm waiting to get a demo so I can buy before the price change after the 19th. Let me know what you think about it, and how it handles on hills.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

grass hasn't started growing around here much yet, i went and looked at their demo model that they had priced cheaper but the hourmeter was broken and I didn't trust that it only had 50hrs on it. asked him what a new one was and he told me 8200, pricing for right now should have been 8800. he made the mistake and told me he'd give it to me for the 8200. if you finance, sheffield has an awesome deal going on right now on wrights, no payments for 6 months then 0% for 48 if you purchase under a business.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll definitely take advantage of that financing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

so far, from the 10 min i spent on the mower I love it. wasn't any grass to cut but I got a feel for how it handled. very stable and comfortable with the spring platform. my 36RH will bounce you to death. the ground here is very wet from 18'' of snow that had been melting the past couple weeks, and a good rain last weekend. i ran it around my yard and left zero ruts. i've got a pretty steep hill in my front yard, its just bare dirt and loose material right now, stuck to it ok, tore it up a little bit. i'm sure with grass there and dry it would be fine. it just left tracks is all, didn't slide down or anything. i'm not sure about cut quality, but there are always ways to make a deck cut better so i'm not too worried about it. as with any mower some dialing in is necessary depending on conditions. the dealer did tell me that some guys are removing the front baffle for more airflow in really thick growth or wet conditions and having better luck. something i'm just gonna have to play with.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I brought a demo home today and ran it for 2 hrs. I ran it through a park with a lot if hills. It did really well. There were spots that got bumpy which at full speed was very uncomfortable. I think it needs front wheel suspension. I became familiar with the machine so I brought it home for the big test. I have a hill in my backyard with uneven terrain. At the bottom of my hill is a fence. I can only start at the top of the hill and go down to start at the bottom and work up going sideways (not up and down the hill) as I started down the hill (at an angle so I didn't go straight down) the mower slid, it slid bad. I thought I was going to slide all the way down the hill but I gained control. There was no way I could get the mower down to the bottom. I'm Lucky I made it off the hill. It did handle well going back up. I was so shook up, I parked it and took a lunch break. It was a big turn off. It's supposed to rain and snow here tomorrow so I'm not sure how much more I'll be able to run it before I bring it back Monday.

It's fast so it would be productive and I already planned to use my walk behind for hills that the stander can't cut.

I have a big decision to make in a day or two. If I buy it, I'll get a 61"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can't beat a walk behind on hills period
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use my z and stander on hills. Can't imagine why a Walker would be better.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

standers are good on hills, but its all dependent on the hill. some are just too steep
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hopefully the cut quality is a little better than it was when they first came out. We live in the same area and they are not quite up to our standards. Good luck