Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM
scagrider22 scagrider22 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,154
"According to the Federal Motor Carrier and Safety Administration, you DO NOT need a CDL with air brake endorsement to drive a vehicle that is under 26,000 GVWR that has air brakes. The reasoning behind this is that since a CDL is not required to drive the vehicle, there is no way to require the "air brake" endorsement under the CDL guidelines".

I found this on a trucking forumn, not sure if it's accurate or not. I've been driving trucks for with air brakes for 15 years and I have never had an issue and all of our local dealers advertise them as you don't need a CDL.
__________________
grk82
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
You need a cdl with air breaks in NY not sure about other states
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsroda View Post
Would love a truck that big but ponyboy is right, down here in GA you also need a cdl for a truck with air brakes
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPO4995 View Post
Nice truck, IL you need a minimum Class B and Air Endorsement
These three statements are so ignorant.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Please show me where in the ny dot book it says or shows that
I'm 99.8% sure you do
I hope I am wrong
Posted via Mobile Device
Show us whee it says you need one.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPO4995 View Post
Nice truck, IL you need a minimum Class B and Air Endorsement
There is NO such thing as an air endorsement.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:06 AM
ponyboy ponyboy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ny
Posts: 1,263
Well when I got piled over by dot last year that is what I was told and got a ticket for
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Well when I got piled over by dot last year that is what I was told and got a ticket for
Posted via Mobile Device
Got a ticket for what?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 AM
ponyboy ponyboy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ny
Posts: 1,263
I read that too
Ticket for out of class
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Landrus2's Avatar
Landrus2 Landrus2 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big apple
Posts: 4,690
This is a common misconception. There is no such thing as an air brake endorsement. There can be an air brake restriction on a CDL meaning you took the CDL (class A or B) without passing or taking the air brake test part (such as doing your test in a Ryder rental truck with a 29,000 GVW with hydraulic brakes). With regards to a truck under 26,000 GVW there is no requirement for a CDL license so it is a moot point on the air brake restriction. So to answer the original question there is nothing extra you are required to do to drive a straight truck with air brakes under 26,000

You got to watch what you tow it can put you very fast out of class.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I read that too
Ticket for out of class
Posted via Mobile Device
You may have been out of class but it wasn't because of air brakes.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM
jsroda's Avatar
jsroda jsroda is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Evans, GA
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
This is a common misconception. There is no such thing as an air brake endorsement. There can be an air brake restriction on a CDL meaning you took the CDL (class A or B) without passing or taking the air brake test part (such as doing your test in a Ryder rental truck with a 29,000 GVW with hydraulic brakes). With regards to a truck under 26,000 GVW there is no requirement for a CDL license so it is a moot point on the air brake restriction. So to answer the original question there is nothing extra you are required to do to drive a straight truck with air brakes under 26,000

You got to watch what you tow it can put you very fast out of class.
Thanks Joesimes2 for clearing that up, I was always told that you had to have a CDL to drive any vehicle with air brakes. Im glad I know the truth now, Thanks!
__________________
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x16 (2013) Enclosed
8x16 double axle open
2005 Walker 48 inch 26 EFI
54" side discharge Walker deck
Exmark Metro 48" walk behind
Honda 21" commercial push
Stihl FS90 weed eater
Stihl FS110 weed eater
Stihl FC90 edger
Stihl HL90 Xtend reach hedge trimmer
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 blower
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl MS261 chainsaw
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.08634 seconds with 8 queries