Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
interesting. although I'm not sure I can justify many trips to another town simply to save the hassle of spraying out a carb every few years.
anyone have a resopnse? im open to suggestions
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
anyone have a resopnse? im open to suggestions
I have two depending on your level of commitment.

1) purchase and use Marine grade blue Stabil.

2) distill your own ethanol free gasoline. (Remarkably simple).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no. i mean. why go through all of hte extra effort, when all it will do is save you a few minutes cleaning carbs every 4 or 5 years
Old 04-20-2013, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
no. i mean. why go through all of hte extra effort, when all it will do is save you a few minutes cleaning carbs every 4 or 5 years
It never ceases to amaze me at how complicated some people make grass cutting out to be. If people go through this much trouble for a throw away hand tool, try to imagine what they'll do for a mower or truck. My Kawasaki trimmer is going on it's third season and I've done nothing to it. I just use mid-grade BP ethanol gas mixed with Amsoil. My Stihl FC90 is going on it's fifth season. I've replaced the carb once. It cost me about 40 bucks. It's worth spending an average of about $7.50 a year to avoid jumping through all of the hoops some of you guys do just to avoid spending 40 bucks every few years on a carb.

I'd be willing to bet that some of you are spending a good amount of money just to drive to a certain gas station that sells ethanol free gas for 20 more cents a gallon. Some of you need to do a real and honest cost verses benefits analysis. And don't forget to cost the amount of extra time you spend playing around driving to get the gas or the auto parts store to buy the fuel additives.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree.... "can't your conversation on fuel standards wait till morning" wife says
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't spend any extra time or hassle to get the AvGas that I run. One of my accounts is 1/4 mile from the airport and my house is 3 miles from it. The hassle factor will have to be something each one of us has figure out on their own. For me, the bigger hassle is dealing with clogged fuel systems or having to replace a carb...ever. Having a no start or hard starting piece of equipment is more of a hassle to me than going to the airport to get fuel.

Plus the added benefit of not having alcohol in the fuel at all and a shelf life of over 2 years is enough to make it worth my while. For the winter, i shut them off and put them in the shed. no draining, no fogging, no treatments. Just a full tank of fuel. Never replaced a carb nor had a no start yet.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you are in a prime location for it. unfortunatly i do not live so close to any place that sells avgas i would hav eto spend quite a bit of money to do it. more than a can of carb cleaner in the tank

what about your truck? what do you do about the fuel in the truck. if seafoam cannot clean the residue, would that not clog injectors? is there a treatment that can clean it?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
what about your truck? what do you do about the fuel in the truck. if seafoam cannot clean the residue, would that not clog injectors? is there a treatment that can clean it?
There are various cleaners which can help as long as the injectors aren't too bad. Using a high quality gasoline to begin with can avoid some of these problems. If the injectors do get plugged there are plenty of companies around that can "rebuild" the injectors for a very reasonable $100.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mine arn clogged. but if sea foam does nto help. what product would you reccommend?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
mine arn clogged. but if sea foam does nto help. what product would you reccommend?
If you've already tried a cleaner with no success then you need to pull them out and send them off for a deep cleaning. Google fuel injector cleaning service and see if you have one locally.