Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
If you've already tried a cleaner with no success then you need to pull them out and send them off for a deep cleaning. Google fuel injector cleaning service and see if you have one locally.
sorry. was a typo. meant to say "arnt" clogged.

basically what product to clean any residue buildup every once in a while?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
sorry. was a typo. meant to say "arnt" clogged.

basically what product to clean any residue buildup every once in a while?
With ethanol treated gasoline, you shouldn't have any of the old gunk buildup. Ethanol (alcohol) is a potent solvent.

I've actually witnessed Lucas injector cleaner apparently clean dirty injectors. A friend had just bought an Isuzu Amigo. It ran rough with poor acceleration. No change after plugs and wires. While I was in the car with him it began running noticeably better. Said he had run one tank of lucas treated gas already and was on the second. Engine smoothed out, and was running great that afternoon. I think most fuel treatment is snake oil. But Lucas appears to have worked. Just a fluke?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
With ethanol treated gasoline, you shouldn't have any of the old gunk buildup. Ethanol (alcohol) is a potent solvent.

I've actually witnessed Lucas injector cleaner apparently clean dirty injectors. A friend had just bought an Isuzu Amigo. It ran rough with poor acceleration. No change after plugs and wires. While I was in the car with him it began running noticeably better. Said he had run one tank of lucas treated gas already and was on the second. Engine smoothed out, and was running great that afternoon. I think most fuel treatment is snake oil. But Lucas appears to have worked. Just a fluke?
Posted via Mobile Device
I dont think it was a fluke. I had the exact same results with sea foam in an old vfr bike i had.

but. if ethanol is a solvent,,,, then i guess i am missing the point in most of the conversation in this thread.

everyone has been saying that ethanol is bad because it gums up carbs and you have to clean the carb???
Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
/snip
everyone has been saying that ethanol is bad because it gums up carbs and you have to clean the carb???
People are confusing the two issues. Ethanol doesnt "Gum" up the carbs. "Gum" was varnish left when fuel went stale, dried up in the carb bowl or tank. It turned into a thick brown goo. This was from the days prior to ethanol.

With the ethanol, we have corrosion of aluminum and rubber parts from the ethanol. This is what clogs the fuel systems, but people still refer to it as "gum" even though its actually aluminum oxide (white powder) and bits of non-ethanol resistant rubber, coupled with water.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
People are confusing the two issues. Ethanol doesnt "Gum" up the carbs. "Gum" was varnish left when fuel went stale, dried up in the carb bowl or tank. It turned into a thick brown goo. This was from the days prior to ethanol.

With the ethanol, we have corrosion of aluminum and rubber parts from the ethanol. This is what clogs the fuel systems, but people still refer to it as "gum" even though its actually aluminum oxide (white powder) and bits of non-ethanol resistant rubber, coupled with water.
so if Lucas and sea foam will not clean it. what will? what are vehicle manufacturers doing to prevent the problem?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So far I haven't found anything that will magically clean the damage of ethanol. Only cleaning, or in some cases rebuilding or replacing fuel system components including filters, lines and carbs. The fact that some people simply run it with no apparent problem. And others use varying stabilizers, it's hard to say what works, and what's snake oil. I can attest that Sea foam really works. When real gas gets old and varnishes, sea foam has worked wonders. Using sea foam on ethanol damaged parts is simply misguided. Even Sea Foam makes no claim as to it combating ethanol. It's simply a holdover.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so will the ethanol itself clean the oxidation "dust" that is a result of using ethanol?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
so will the ethanol itself clean the oxidation "dust" that is a result of using ethanol?
NO.
The 4 wheels and mowers I have work on for other people was so bad the fuel would not go in the carburetor.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so is it going to be eating away at my cyl walls on my truck?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
If you let ethanol gas evaporate you'll still have the gunk. Solvents, any solvents, only work if you wash the dissolved gunk away. If you only dissolve the gunk but leave it in place, the solvent will eventually evaporate leaving the gunk behind. Remember, ethanol gas in only 10% ethanol. The rest is 90% gasoline and it's additives. If you leave the fuel line open all winter and the fuel can evaporate from the carb, only to be replaced by more fuel from the gas tank, the end result will still be a gunked up carb.