Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey, itll keep your manifolds from clogging up!
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shappie View Post
Seafoam for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
I will not use Seafoam for Fuel Stabilizer as it as Isopropyl alcohol in it.
Only for cleaning .

http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam...reatment/msds/
Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Or one fella I chatted with is a bush pilot. They use a leather Chamois to filter water from aviation fuel on the Amazon. If its good enough for aviation, it ought to run a weed wacker.
Ok, I learned something new today. I'm going to try out that chamois trick.

But you have to remember that the ethanol adds around 3 octane points to the gas, so I'd start with 93 if I was going to use your method. I've thought about it, but so far, I've had no issues with 93 gas (E10) with Marine Stabil.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Had anyone used Ethanol Shield? I was going to try this. I saw a video on another forum that tested this against similiar products and this worked the best. Suppose to stop the gas and ethanol from phase seperation.

http://www.b3cfuel.com/products/ethanol-shield/
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by posty2100 View Post
Had anyone used Ethanol Shield? I was going to try this. I saw a video on another forum that tested this against similiar products and this worked the best. Suppose to stop the gas and ethanol from phase seperation.

http://www.b3cfuel.com/products/ethanol-shield/
Hmmm, never thought about using my rig for testing products intended to stabilize ethanol. Might have to have a go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Hmmm, never thought about using my rig for testing products intended to stabilize ethanol. Might have to have a go.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=5977.0

I think this was the forum I found one day searching info on Etanol Shield. The videos show the tests.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i use regular stabil but only add it when the equipment sits over the winter. during the season i don't use anything but gas.

i've used seafoam on older equipment before. if something starts to act hard to crank or whatever. (normally my dad's mower since he never adds stabil over the winter). the seafoam cleans the gunk out. run through one tank of gas and you are good to go.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shappie View Post
Seafoam for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
I second that. although i woudl never use it on a regular basis.

honestly my personal opinion is fuel stabilizers are a marketing scam. gasoline engines are designed to run on specific standardized gasoline formulas. changing that formula can have effects on the engine. most of them i imagine are simply adding more octane into the fuel which might give you a tad more performance, but at the cost of your rings and valves. just my personal opinion. does not mean its right.

but as far as sea foam goes. i put it in my engines gas and oil every once in a while as a preventative measure. if you do in the oil, only do it at the last 100 miles before an oil change. works great for cleaning engines

here is my personal experience. had a motorcycle that had issues running. it ran, jsut didnt run great. one single treatment of sea foam made a real world noticeable, hearable difference in how the engine ran. no argument the engine ran better.

i think ill go buy some tomorrow. about time for another cleaning
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Water. Shake, allow fuel & water to seperate overnight (only take a few minutes). Then siphon off the clean, pure, ethanol free gas. Start with 92+ octane. End result will be 89-91 octane pure gas.

Stores for 1-2 years. Stabilizers treat a symptom. Using ethanols built in "Phase shift" property is FREE. No BS. It works.
Posted via Mobile Device
slightly confused here. why do this?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bird, I know it borders on the tinfoil hat brigade. Our pump gas is being used as a means of welfare for corn farmers. Adding ethanol has no benefit to running these very expensive engines we use. It's being pushed as EPA regs. It's cost some of us a considerable amount of production time and money fixing carbs (and even causing engine failures). There are a litany of contributing factors, beyond my desire, or ability to describe and detail it all.

The technique I outlined is FREE. It's simple, and relatively easy to do. It produces ethanol free fuel for anyone looking for options. In many areas around population centers ethanol free gas simply isn't available anymore.

I feel like most fuel treatments are snake oil. I don't want to open that can of worms. I've used Sea Foam, as a solvent, and to remove carbon. Don't recall even the company claiming it treated ethanol. Could be wrong though. But adding more alcohol seems counter intuitive.

Just remember if you try my technique, use 92+ octane gas to start. It will drop 2-3 octane points when the ethanol is removed.

Another huge improvement is the ability to store the fuel for up to a year vs 90 days for "blended" fuel. Without ethanol, straight gas is good for 1-2 years.
Posted via Mobile Device